• Welcome! This is a forum for anyone who is affected by a fear of the dentist, dental phobia, or specific dental fears.

We are lucky to count a number of dentists among our members and moderators. Look out for the "Verified dentist" badges. If you are a dental professional who likes to help, please join our community!

Register now to access many more features and forums!

Tooth extracted - now one next to socket is sore.

R

Ringostar

Hello everyone,

I am here looking for some advice regarding a problem I am having.

I had my upper 1st molar removed and now the tooth in front of it has a dull ache and is really sore when my tongue touches it. The extraction took place 1 month ago and there has been no improvement. Should I persevere with it and see if it gets better? Or is time to return to the dentist do you think? And if so, what do you think may be the problem?

I can give you the background although it is quite lengthy!!!!! I went for my 6 month check up in December and was advised that my upper 1st molar had signs of decay. I was recommended to replace a filling that was already in it. At this point I had no problems or issues, as far as I was concerned, with my teeth!!

So I had the filling changed and then started getting terrible pain in the tooth. The tooth was tender and sore when my tongue touched it although it was not sensitive to hot and cold. This went on for a couple of weeks so returned to the dentist and they opened it up and said I had a dental abscess. So I had root canal treatment performed on the tooth. Unfortunately, the pain never improved and I always had the same problem with the tooth - tender and sensitive when chewing it or touching it with my tongue and a dull ache. I then had root canal treatment performed a further two times! During this time the dentist said she found a 4th canal and she hoped this would sort my problems. Unfortunately it didn't and I still had the same symptoms. Twice the temporary filling was removed and my tooth flushed to try and kill bacteria. Unfortunately still no joy. I then gave in and had the tooth extracted around 4 weeks ago.

After the extraction I developed dry socket - I don't have much luck do I? A couple of more visits to the dentist to try and resolve that and now the gum feels fine.

I now have an issue with the tooth in front of the empty socket. The tip of it is sensitive and tender when my tongue touches it and has a dull pain. It is not sensitive to hot or cold. I am now worried that getting the tooth extracted was the wrong course of action as all that has happened is the same pain is now in the tooth next to it? Therefore is the problem I have somewhere else? Is it in the gums?

Or have I now got an abscess in the tooth? And am I going to have to go through all the same sorts of treatment again on this tooth?

Or should I just give it more time?

Sorry for my lengthy post. I am really at the end of my tether with my teeth. I am back and forth to the dentist like a yoyo and really can't afford to have any more problems.

Any advice or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

S

ScaredyCat22

It can be normal but if you are worried you could always have your dentist check it out. when a tooth is extracted there is a bit of gum loss in the teeth next to it and a bit of bone loss too. it causes those teeth to be more exposed than they were before and they will feel strange for a while especially along the sides that used to be up against the extracted tooth. if it does not hurt to hot or cold and does not have pain when you chew or press on it chances are that is all it is and can take a long time to feel normal again. if the teeth were healthy before you had the other extracted they are more than likely still healthy and just feeling strange.

N

Nimita Daftary

taking a break from the forum
Feel really sorry for the things you are going through. I guess it's time to see a better dentist. It shouldn't actually take so much time to recover. Wanted to know if he has prescribed you with medicines? It's better you see someone else and get it treated before things get worse.

R

Ringostar

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Scaredycat - Yes, it is the part of the tooth that is now exposed that is causing most of the sensitivity. And it's sore when I bite / chew down on it although I'm trying to avoid it as best as possible at the moment. It was a healthy tooth so I hope it gets back to that!

Nimita - only recommended over the counter pain relief such as Ibuprofen. I didn't even have any issues or pain before my check up with the dentist. Then followed 6 months of pain and issues - not being able to eat properly etc. I am desperate to get back to normality!!!

N

Nico15

Hi, thanks for the replies.

Scaredycat - Yes, it is the part of the tooth that is now exposed that is causing most of the sensitivity. And it's sore when I bite / chew down on it although I'm trying to avoid it as best as possible at the moment. It was a healthy tooth so I hope it gets back to that!

Nimita - only recommended over the counter pain relief such as Ibuprofen. I didn't even have any issues or pain before my check up with the dentist. Then followed 6 months of pain and issues - not being able to eat properly etc. I am desperate to get back to normality!!!
Hi,
I’m going through a very similar experience to yours. Multiple root canals, then extraction, then Sensitivity of surrounding tooth. I wanted to ask you how did you finally solve it? It’d be really helpful. Thanks a lot

L

LiLiBerg

OMG! The exact same thing happened to me. It's like I could have written this. I'm going through this right now. Did yours ever resolved?

B

Bellablonde

Hi Lili - what's yours like now? I'm one week in and it's drivng me nuts. I have my second molar removed I can feel my cheek touching the first molar ALL the time. It's not really pain it's just an odd sensation and I'm constantly reminded that I lost that tooth and I could have further issues with my chewing which makes me more depressed. I don't have any molars left on the other side so I'm scared I'll never eat what I want to eat like cornchips or something dumb like that. I'm finding it hard at the moment but not sure if it will stay that way when the site heals.

R

Ruffles

l had my first molar extracted a week ago, the tooth next to it hurts when l tap it, l hope there was no damage done to it

S

SunnyDayz

Any updates from members who commented on this? Good news? I am going through the same thing now two weeks out from extraction. 2nd molar extracted, 1 molar kills.

Sevena

Sevena

Super Moderator
As Gordon - who is a resident dentist - says (including in the frequently asked questions section that was linked), yes it is common to have pain or tenderness in the teeth next to a tooth where major work has been done. It's normal. If you have concerns, call the dentist who performed the extractions. If the pain is really bad, especially call the dentist. No one should suffer in pain, and also the conditions that cause severe pain are very treatable.

S

Scared all the time

Hi Lili - what's yours like now? I'm one week in and it's drivng me nuts. I have my second molar removed I can feel my cheek touching the first molar ALL the time. It's not really pain it's just an odd sensation and I'm constantly reminded that I lost that tooth and I could have further issues with my chewing which makes me more depressed. I don't have any molars left on the other side so I'm scared I'll never eat what I want to eat like cornchips or something dumb like that. I'm finding it hard at the moment but not sure if it will stay that way when the site heals.
Did things ever improve? The odd sensations??

B

Bellablonde

So my story didnt end well. I had the first molar taken out because the pain didnt go away despite them not being able to see any issues with it. The pain went away for a few weeks... then came back again. No dentist mentioned it could have been nerve damage and it WAS nerve damage so I had my first molar removed for no reason. It wasnt until I research myself and started to have burning in my tongue that it made sense. Went to another dentist, and consulted here. Pretty upset that the dentist I see never mentioned this could be an issue.

S

SunnyDayz

Yep. Same story here. As an update to my post a few months back, I had my second molar removed and it ended up being the first molar tooth that had significant decay. I ended up having to have it root canaled. Long story short, my second molar was extracted for no reason at all, and my journey has not been a good one ever since.

S

Scared all the time

So my story didnt end well. I had the first molar taken out because the pain didnt go away despite them not being able to see any issues with it. The pain went away for a few weeks... then came back again. No dentist mentioned it could have been nerve damage and it WAS nerve damage so I had my first molar removed for no reason. It wasnt until I research myself and started to have burning in my tongue that it made sense. Went to another dentist, and consulted here. Pretty upset that the dentist I see never mentioned this could be an issue.
Ugh so nerve damage? Would that have gotten better on its own? What caused it?

S

Scared all the time

Knock wood, I don’t have pain it’s just the weird sensation. Makes me constantly aware of the extraction which was my worse fear in life..losing teeth. I thought of dental implant to replace the molar but I hear I may need a sinus lift ect and that is terrifying in itself. So terrified and anxiety super high since all this started

S

Scared all the time

Update on that odd feeling after my extraction. Well it’s been almost 2 months and yes it’s gotten better. The gum is still filling in and healing but the healing must have helped somehow as I hardly notice it! NO where near like I did before! So that’s a big plus. I just wanted anyone else who has this issues after a 2nd upper molar extraction to be patient mine, at least, did get better 😊

S

SunnyDayz

I agree with the post above. I'm now about 6 months out from the extraction and things have gotten better. However, I still feel pangs in the gum area and I'm almost half a year out!

C

Cj626

I had a bottom second molar extracted due to a failed root canal. I was DETERMINED something was wrong with the tooth next to it, it felt like it was higher, moving... Just completely off! Dentist assured me it was fine and it was. I was just so used to having that other tooth there that it was a big adjustment to getting used to my "new" mouth. Give it some time, I don't even notice it anymore :)