• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extracted - now one next to socket is sore.

R

Ringostar

Hello everyone,

I am here looking for some advice regarding a problem I am having.

I had my upper 1st molar removed and now the tooth in front of it has a dull ache and is really sore when my tongue touches it. The extraction took place 1 month ago and there has been no improvement. Should I persevere with it and see if it gets better? Or is time to return to the dentist do you think? And if so, what do you think may be the problem?

Have a look at this thread in the Frequently Asked Questions:

Of course, you should go back to your dentist if it's still really sore, just to make sure.

As Gordon - who is a resident dentist - says (including in the frequently asked questions section that was linked), yes it is common to have pain or tenderness in the teeth next to a tooth where major work has been done. It's normal. If you have concerns, call the dentist who performed the extractions. If the pain is really bad, especially call the dentist. No one should suffer in pain, and also the conditions that cause severe pain are very treatable.

Back