• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction after Partial Root Canal?

J

jaytee919

About 4 years ago I had an extreme toothache in one of my very back molars, went to the dentist and was told I needed a root canal. At the time I had no dental insurance so I had the RC done but had a temporary filling put in and never had a crown put on it. Filling fell out about 6 months later, I bought some of the at home filler stuff from the drug store and re filled it myself so food wouldn't get stuck in the open hole in my tooth. Eventually that also fell out and I did not replace it, but avoided chewing on that side too much. I've been without anything filling the tooth for about 2 years now and havent really had any problems with it (no pain or abcess) , and now that I have dental insurance I made an appt to see a dentist to start getting the tooth fixed. Well tonight I was eating and felt like part of the tooth was loose, and the inside part of the tooth cracked at the gumline and fell out. The tooth is gray inside and I'm pretty sure I need to have it removed rather than trying to save it, only to have it break off more in a few years. Am I correct to assume that extraction would be my best bet? What is the procedure for extracting a broken molar with a root canal done? After extraction do I HAVE to get an implant or a bridge, or can I just leave it to heal and have an open space? Also is there a chance that it could have some infection even though I have no symptoms? Advice & answers is much appreciated!

Sounds like the tooth is past saving so extraction is likely. It doesn't matter about the previous root treatment, it makes no difference to the extraction.

You don't have to have a replacement tooth if you don't want one.

You've probably had a chronic infection for a while that's been draining out through the cavity. Chances are you'll feel a bit better without the tooth, since your body has been wasting some resources fighting off the infection. I don't think you'll suddenly be able to run a marathon or something, you'll just feel a wee bit better :)

Back