• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction delayed due to COVID-19

M

mcredding

Last month, I had an emergency exam & a tooth was chosen for extraction because of how painful & decayed it is. My dental clinic does those in 1-hr appointments, but there were no openings for that length of time. They were going to call me to schedule the extraction 1-2 weeks later because they had to wait for a new schedule to open up.

Fast-forward 1.5 weeks - COVID-19 reaches my county, all non-emergency dental care is suspended, so I have assumed that no-one called me due to the outbreak.

Fast-forward to today - Pain is increasing in severity & I don't know what to do. More than that, I don't really know what procedures/treatments dental emergency care consists of, & I don't know if I should be seeking emergency care right now. I'm worried that seeking emergency care might just waste everyone's time if all that's done is repeating that I need an extraction.

I guess I could use some support...if I knew how to extract a tooth, I would do it myself, but obviously, I can't do that.

Hey,
I'm there with you. Had an appointment to extract an upper first molar, initially March 20th. Covid-19 changed those plans, and now it is set for April 24th, a date I am certain won't be met either at this rate. This would be aside from my wisdom teeth, my first extraction of one of my adult teeth and it has caused no end of anxiety.
I am lucky it's a failed root canal and other than one initial infection, it's been pain free (though the infection could return at any time and the pain is nothing to sneeze at).
If you call for an emergency I would stress that you are in pain and get assurance that if seen, the extraction would be done and that they don't just send you home.
I'm pretty ne to this site and have had no end of support. Maybe some of the others could offer some solutions to get you through this time. Good luck!

Hey,
I'm there with you. Had an appointment to extract an upper first molar, initially March 20th. Covid-19 changed those plans, and now it is set for April 24th, a date I am certain won't be met either at this rate. This would be aside from my wisdom teeth, my first extraction of one of my adult teeth and it has caused no end of anxiety.
I am lucky it's a failed root canal and other than one initial infection, it's been pain free (though the infection could return at any time and the pain is nothing to sneeze at).
If you call for an emergency I would stress that you are in pain and get assurance that if seen, the extraction would be done and that they don't just send you home.
I'm pretty ne to this site and have had no end of support. Maybe some of the others could offer some solutions to get you through this time. Good luck!

I have been affected by the covid-19 situation in my country too. Dental appointment cancelled for non emergency.. really hope that this virus will be gone soon.

Anyway, do you mind if I ask what's the symptoms of your failed root canal for upper first molar?

I recently got my upper left first root canal molar crowned, yesterday I woke up to left ear, jaw and chin pain and slight redness around the crowned tooth. Afraid that it's a failed root canal.. I just got it crowned like this month and I got the root canal done back in December 2019. It haven't even last me a year and I spent tons of money on it, I'm legit gonna be so done if it fail.

Dentist did says that he saw slight shadow under one of the root but he want to see how it goes first since I didn't have any symptoms back then that suggest it's a failed RCT.

My symptom were pain biting down, swelling around tooth area with redness, then a pus filled pimple like thing (I believe they call it a sinus tract or something?)
As for my appointment for removal, it's been bumped up yet again thanks to Covid-19, from April 24th to June 12th now. Luckily since the pimple thing broke a few months back there hasn't been any issues with pain.

Back