• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction fears, painkiller allergy

R

Rabbiteer

So, I've got a couple of issues at play here. First, it's been 13 years since I saw a dentist, and my teeth are VERY badly off-- three are broken, one cracked, and the rest have enamel erosion to some extent. One of the broken molars abscessed on New Year's. It took 3 weeks to get rid of the infection, and was hideously painful. Well, I didn't get it out then, because I don't have a single person to go to the dentist with me, and I'm completely terrified to go. My situation has not improved in this regard, unfortunately, but the tooth has abscessed again. I know if I see a doctor, they'll likely tell me they can't give me another antibiotic so soon. So I'll be scheduling with a dentist.

Anyway, 2 big problems: 1) Novocaine, Lidocaine, etc. have NEVER worked for me. I had a horrible tooth extraction when I was 13 where I was given 8 shots of Novocaine, and it never had any effect. I went through the entire extraction feeling every bit of pain, and it was excruciating. The dentist never believed me that the Novocaine didn't work, and refused to use nitrous in future (part of the reason I haven't been to a dentist in so long). Problem 2 is that I'm also allergic to opiate painkillers, and those, according to several doctors I've visited over the years, are the only kind of worthwhile prescription painkillers. I can take Tylenol and ibuprofen, but I don't know if those would be sufficient to kill pain after an extraction.

Add to all of this the fact that I'm terrified to see a dentist in the first place, and I feel at a complete loss. I guess I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and could offer some insight. I'm just sick of being in constant pain.

Rabbiteer,

I'm sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time! I know the pain can be unbearable! I'm not a dentist, but I will say that dental treatments have improved so much over the years! I recently had two teeth pulled under IV sedation and it was the easiest thing ever! The hard part was getting me there because I have severe anxiety and panic attacks. :(

Again, I'm not a dentist, but if the local anesthetics don't work for you it's possible to have your dental work done under general anesthesia. In fact, my dentist let me know that if it's medically necessary to be "put under", medical insurance will sometimes cover some of the costs. So this sounds like it might be a good option for you. I would suggest IV sedation (which is different from general anesthesia), but because you're not totally out they still have to numb you up for the procedure. With general anesthesia, you'd be totally out during the procedure. It definitely sounds like something you might look into!

Also, after my extractions I only took Advil and it worked just fine. :)
Good luck and keep us updated!

deleting my post where I shared my extraction experience is not an option without typing something else in the box.

Last edited:
Well, I managed to get myself to the dentist to find out what all needs to be done. It's not as bad as I'd expected, but the cost of the work is going to be far more than I can handle. The most immediate things i need are 2 extractions and 2 root canals + crowns... but they're offering me no option for pain management through the procedures aside from sedation or Novocaine. I am trying to find a dentist who will use nitrous oxide, as I have had luck with that in the past, but the dentist I saw said very few still use it; he seems to think nitrous only works to calm patients' fears, not to keep them from being in pain. Due to my countless medication allergies, I'd really like to avoid full sedation.

I just wanted to respond about post-extraction pain management. I cannot take opiates either. Ibuprofen and Tylenol were enough to manage post-extraction pain after fully-impacted wisdom teeth were extracted.

So, I've got a couple of issues at play here. First, it's been 13 years since I saw a dentist, and my teeth are VERY badly off-- three are broken, one cracked, and the rest have enamel erosion to some extent. One of the broken molars abscessed on New Year's. It took 3 weeks to get rid of the infection, and was hideously painful. Well, I didn't get it out then, because I don't have a single person to go to the dentist with me, and I'm completely terrified to go. My situation has not improved in this regard, unfortunately, but the tooth has abscessed again. I know if I see a doctor, they'll likely tell me they can't give me another antibiotic so soon. So I'll be scheduling with a dentist.

Anyway, 2 big problems: 1) Novocaine, Lidocaine, etc. have NEVER worked for me. I had a horrible tooth extraction when I was 13 where I was given 8 shots of Novocaine, and it never had any effect. I went through the entire extraction feeling every bit of pain, and it was excruciating. The dentist never believed me that the Novocaine didn't work, and refused to use nitrous in future (part of the reason I haven't been to a dentist in so long). Problem 2 is that I'm also allergic to opiate painkillers, and those, according to several doctors I've visited over the years, are the only kind of worthwhile prescription painkillers. I can take Tylenol and ibuprofen, but I don't know if those would be sufficient to kill pain after an extraction.

Add to all of this the fact that I'm terrified to see a dentist in the first place, and I feel at a complete loss. I guess I'm hoping someone has had a similar experience and could offer some insight. I'm just sick of being in constant pain.

I really can't help you with the first part but as far as post extraction pain relief, it depends from person to person. Some people are able to get by just fine on OTC pain relievers after the work. Personally i had 14 extractions between 2 trips last year and almost everytime i took the Perscription pain medicine, maybe a dozen times total, it was for either pain prevention at night time or to deal with a little swelling.

Back