• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction Monday and I'm really scared! Need support.

C

cnhand84

Hi I'm new here. I'm Cindy! Just need someone to talk too.

I'll make this as short as possible. A few weeks ago, one of my front teeth starting hurting. Shortly after a top molar started hurting. I've also had issues with a premolar being really sensitive the last few months (in front of a crowned tooth) I went to dentist, took xray of teeth. Said top molar most likely needs a new filling, nothing wrong with premolar, and gum recession on front tooth. She said even some of this may be referred pain.

Well, a few days later went back to dentist again with more pain in premolar. So she did xrays of the roots of those teeth (the premolar and crown). Premolar looks fine. Looks like crown has infection at root. I got the crown a little over a year ago (first molar). Can the crowned tooth make the premolar hurt, referred pain? Well, she did the endo ice. No reaction on premolar but about jumped out of chair when she touched crown with it!

So, she says infection in crowned tooth. She said I could wait and see if the infection goes away or gets worse. It wasn't sensitive to tapping yet which was a good sign but maybe I just noticed it quickly. But I choose to pull it instead because I have bad anxiety and waiting and watching is also not good with someone with anxiety (I'm seeing a counselor for this) Started me on antibiotics and plan is to get this crowned tooth pulled tomorrow;Monday. I've had some aching in my jaw, sharp shooting pains in jaw and ear. Is this pretty normal? Premolar even still feels sensitive (in front of crowned tooth). When I drink cold I think I feel it in premolar but maybe its not. they are so close its hard to tell. Crowned tooth feels pressure if that makes sense. and I have bad thoughts like what if the crowned tooth isnt the bad one? I know I'm probably overreacting.

So to make a longer story short, I'm so scared of getting this tooth pulled. Is it harder to pull a tooth with a crown? I'll be awake during this. My dentist so far has been good she's gentle and caring. I'm just super scared about all the after effects and just everything. Getting it pullled. etc. I can't afford sedation or a root canal. I also read if your on birth control pill you can get dry socket more easily and I do bleed alot normally. I'm super scared.

Anyone have any wise words? I just feel so panicky. I have anxiety in general. :giggle:

Last edited:
You’ll do great.

It will probably be over before you know.

Be careful about trusting in internet horror stories about dry sockets. They suck, but are nothing like the horrors they make it out to be.

Important: have plenty of soft foods ready! And a good variety. And ibuprofen. Very important.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Cindy,

sorry to read about your situation and the pain you're in. My dentist recently explained to me that nerves in the tooth can send a pain signal but cannot send a location signal - location gets interpreted by the brain and this process is not always accurate. This means that it is possible for you to perceive pain in a different tooth than the cause actually is. Also, if a nerve is infected, the pain often radiates into other areas as well. Sometimes it's not only impossible for the person to tell which tooth hurts but even if it's on the upper or lower side. Your pain in jaw and ear sounds like that.

Infections around the root can be spotted on x-rays quite easily. If you worry about the tooth being the right one, just ask your dentist to show you the x-ray and explain to you what is happening. The tooth being over sensitive to the cold test is also a sign that the nerve is dying. You said you had no reaction on the premolar, but you certainly felt the cold, it just wasn't painful, right?

I am glad to read that you are happy with your dentist and that she is gently. I am sure she can remove the tooth quickly and easily for you.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

P.S: As to dry socket, just believe Dg6300 who is quite an expert to this :)

Hi!

As for the premolar, nope I never felt the endo ice at all. But she put it on other teeth, and I never felt it on the other ones either. Only ones I felt it on was the upper molar that needs the new filling (hurt a little). And than the crowned tooth (hurt ALOT) she acted like that was pretty normal for there not to be any reaction The xray of the premolar also did show the root and it had nothing near the root and the filling in it looked okay, perfectly sound she said.

I had a tooth took out in 2006 I could not afford a root canal I was going away, this was not with my normal dentist at the time he wanted to charge me private prices, whilst I usually have NHS dentist.

I had baby teeth taken out to make room for adult teeth in 1995.1996. (not because of decay)

The tooth in 2006 I did not really heave dental anxiety at the time, but dreaded going I still do but know it important to get problems sorted out. I was in and out in 20 minutes but was recommend plenty of soft foods for the first 24 hours so had a couple of strawberry puddings desserts and mash potato.

I was very scard to brush my teeth to avoid knocking the blood clot to make sure it healed okay

Dont forget to tell the dentist if you are worried, like others have said do not google.

I'd only ever had extractiosn under a general anaesthetic or about ten years ago, IV sedation so when I had to have a tooth out a couple of years back, was terrified as I didn't want to spend out on sedation. I was really worried - my fear being that I will feel something during a procedure. But it went incredibly quickly and well and I totally didn't feel a thing. Nothing. There was some slight complication I forget with that tooth as well (it was a root canal that failed after a few years so it was probably more filling than tooth) but my dentist coped with it easily. I was home and wondering what the fuss had been about, within the hour.

Hi again. It is now WED and I had my tooth pulled Monday. is anyone still out there?

I'm still really worried about dry socket and just things not going smoothly. Bad anxiety here.

What should the extraction site look like? It has alot of whiteish gunk around it sometimes it comes and goes. I started doing the rinses. It also does look dark (like a blood clot) but every once in a while Ill look at it and once during the night it had a few red streaks coming from it,like bright red . Is this normal? I'm really scared.

:(

You’ll do great.

Be careful about trusting in internet horror stories about dry sockets. They suck, but are nothing like the horrors they make it out to be.

Important: have plenty of soft foods ready! And a good variety. And ibuprofen. Very important.

Let us know how it goes.
Do not believe Internet or any horror stories, period. I was scared of a simple cleaning and exam as a teenager when I went to the dentist due to horror stories told by online and family/friends.

When I went the first time yes I was scared and such, but after my second or third time I got over it.

Re: Tooth Extraction Monday and I'm really scared! FOLLOWUP QUESTIONs

FOLLOWUP It is now Sat and still have dry socket fear. During the night last night I woke up and some of the white stuff wasgone and youcould see darkness underneath it. Boyfriend thinks just the clot. Should I be worried?

Oh also the sides of the hole look like they are caving in a little bit is this just normal healing?help! my anxiety is high!

Dry socket usually appears within the first 4 days after and extraction. Given the fact that your extraction was on Monday, your healing should be stable now. It's normal for the extraction site to change and look differently, like any other wound, there is just a lot going on, so do not worry about it too much.

I got my extraction done five days ago, on Monday. This forum really helped me feel better about it.

Everything will be okay! Dry socket isn't as bad as the Internet horror stories tell you and you probably don't have it since it usually comes within the first couple of days after extraction.

My dentist told me the extraction site would look very colorful and probably change colors at time due to healing, which is what is happening to me and probably you as well.

I also have a dark spot where I got my tooth extracted and white stuff keeps popping up and leaving, so I think we're both healing the same way!

I hope things go well for you and your fear of dry socket calms down a bit!

I'm just so scared my anxiety sucks.. it also looks the hole is kinda sunken and the white stuff keeps leaving!! the edges even bleed a tiny bit.... I have no idea if this is normal

Mine is also sunken in with a bit of bleeding. I'm pretty sure this is normal.

Does your dentist office have an email or Facebook page by chance? I've started emailing mine when I'm worried about something and they usually reassure me. Email is great because you can send photos of the area to them as well.

I definitely understand the anxiety! Mine's absolutely terrible and it was really hard for me to even make the appointment to get the extraction done.

hi! your a great help to me to know im not the only one with the same things happening.

I just emailed them. not sure with it being the weekend and all. Just majorly stressed out!

I've actually been going to a therapist for my anxiety and was starting to feel better about things and than bam! LOL

I'm glad I can help! I'm happy to know I'm not alone too. I got my tooth extracted on Monday and I've been kinda obsessive about making sure I don't get dry socket, but I think it's healing normally.

Waiting for replies is the worst, but I'm glad dentists are more accessible now than they were in the past.

I feel you on the therapy! I had to quit going because I lost my insurance, but I used to go a lot. It's like every time you're getting better with anxiety, something new comes up to make you worry again! I'm sure things will be fine for us, though. Once our extraction sites heal, there won't be any reason to worry about dry socket.

I'm glad I can help! I'm happy to know I'm not alone too. I got my tooth extracted on Monday and I've been kinda obsessive about making sure I don't get dry socket, but I think it's healing normally.

Waiting for replies is the worst, but I'm glad dentists are more accessible now than they were in the past.

I feel you on the therapy! I had to quit going because I lost my insurance, but I used to go a lot. It's like every time you're getting better with anxiety, something new comes up to make you worry again! I'm sure things will be fine for us, though. Once our extraction sites heal, there won't be any reason to worry about dry socket.

Im due an extraction tomorrow upper molar 2 im so scared it won’t come
out in one :(

Im due an extraction tomorrow upper molar 2 im so scared it won’t come
out in one :(
Mine came out really easy and it was even partially cracked. Dentists are usually prepared for things like teeth not coming out all together, so they'll know how to correct it if it does happen.

I really hope your extraction went well!

You’ll do great.

Let us know how it goes.

So Dg6300 is 100% correct. I had a tooth extracted 2 weeks ago. I was totally terrified of the experience. I read every horror story there is on the internet, and I figured I would be in horrible pain afterwards. I was completely wrong. The dentist said I was going to feel a little pressure, and then the next thing he said me, was the tooth was out. Just like that. I could not believe it. It honestly was a very simple thing, and I got myself way too worked up over nothing.

MagnetoWasRight how is your healing coming along? any pain still? tenderness? jaw soreness?

Does anyone know how long after an extraction its okay to have a dental cleaning? :rolleyes:

Back