• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction questions

K

Katiepage93

I have been terrified of the dentist since I was a child. I don’t know what the cause was but I have such a bad phobia of it that I have been unable to have any dental work done. However I am currently having her spy for my phobias (dentist included) and am thinking about the work I will need to have done in the future. I have 3 teeth (at the back on the bottom row but not wisdom) that are cracked and broken.

One is broken all the way to the gum line, the other two are still half intact but not saveable. My concerns are how easy will these teeth be to remove? I feel like I will eventually be brave enough to go to have them pulled providing it is just a normal extraction and no digging around/drilling is required. I worry that they will start to pull them and they’ll break more and then i’ll Be in a position where I’m forced to be sedated/have extensive work done which I am currently not mentally capable of coping with.

Would be grateful to hear of other people’s experience or if dentists opinions on this before I make any further decisions. Thanks.

I had two teeth removed a couple of weeks ago and asked the same question. One of mine was a canine tooth which was half broken and the other was the next tooth along (not sure what that's called) and that was totally broken to the gumline with the gum starting to heal over what was left.

i just had numbing as couldn't afford sedation and it wasn't available on the NHS. The needles didn't hurt, not at all.
The one that was totally broken he warned that sometimes they are too hard to get out like that but it was fine.
only going by how it felt for me in terms of time and effort it seemed the easier one to get out.

i was terrified of the dentist and like you couldn't say why. I've ignored little holes for years and now I'm out the other side I couldn't give you a single explanation as to why I did that. I now have partial dentures for those two teeth.

The whole experience was fine. I don't want more teeth out but only because I want my own teeth at 31 not because I'm afraid. Nothin hurt during or after, I had built it up into this big thing but two extractions, a filling and just sitting to recover for a bit after and I was only in there half hour.

be brave you can do it ??

I had two teeth removed a couple of weeks ago and asked the same question. One of mine was a canine tooth which was half broken and the other was the next tooth along (not sure what that's called) and that was totally broken to the gumline with the gum starting to heal over what was left.

i just had numbing as couldn't afford sedation and it wasn't available on the NHS. The needles didn't hurt, not at all.
The one that was totally broken he warned that sometimes they are too hard to get out like that but it was fine.
only going by how it felt for me in terms of time and effort it seemed the easier one to get out.

i was terrified of the dentist and like you couldn't say why. I've ignored little holes for years and now I'm out the other side I couldn't give you a single explanation as to why I did that. I now have partial dentures for those two teeth.

The whole experience was fine. I don't want more teeth out but only because I want my own teeth at 31 not because I'm afraid. Nothin hurt during or after, I had built it up into this big thing but two extractions, a filling and just sitting to recover for a bit after and I was only in there half hour.

be brave you can do it ??

Thankyou so much for your reply - it makes me feel better to know I’m not the only person in my position.
what happened with the one tooth with the gum growing over as I have one like that too and am curious to know how they will remove it.

Its weird because I have been afraid of the dentist since I was a child and I think that now as an adult it’s just a pattern I follow rather than something I’m actually afraid of as the person I am today.

I hope to to someday soon be in your position looking at it from the other side ??

I have been terrified of the dentist since I was a child. I don’t know what the cause was but I have such a bad phobia of it that I have been unable to have any dental work done. However I am currently having her spy for my phobias (dentist included) and am thinking about the work I will need to have done in the future. I have 3 teeth (at the back on the bottom row but not wisdom) that are cracked and broken.

One is broken all the way to the gum line, the other two are still half intact but not saveable. My concerns are how easy will these teeth be to remove? I feel like I will eventually be brave enough to go to have them pulled providing it is just a normal extraction and no digging around/drilling is required. I worry that they will start to pull them and they’ll break more and then i’ll Be in a position where I’m forced to be sedated/have extensive work done which I am currently not mentally capable of coping with.

Would be grateful to hear of other people’s experience or if dentists opinions on this before I make any further decisions. Thanks.

Hi Katie!

i know exactly how you feel ?I had put off dental treatment for years and finally found the courage to have the work done that I needed. I needed a 6 unit bridge so last Monday I had 3 teeth extracted. It was absolutely nothing to worry about! They were front teeth so I was scared to death I'd have pain when he injected me, but he put numbing gel on the area and I felt nothing. My teeth froze up and they were all out within about 3 mins. I had no pain at all, no swelling either and although I was tired, I was pretty much back to normal in a couple of days. I know you are worried about the fact that you're teeth are broken, but I've read on one of the threads that it's actually easier to extract them because the crowns not in the way. But even if they do have a little more trouble, you don't need to worry because they are so used to extractions that they could probably do it blindfolded, as my dentist told me! The whole thing with extractions is usually easier than you think, and it's over so quickly so please don't worry, it's really a non-event ?You certainly shouldn't put it off any longer than necessary, good luck!

Hi Katie!

i know exactly how you feel ?I had put off dental treatment for years and finally found the courage to have the work done that I needed. I needed a 6 unit bridge so last Monday I had 3 teeth extracted. It was absolutely nothing to worry about! They were front teeth so I was scared to death I'd have pain when he injected me, but he put numbing gel on the area and I felt nothing. My teeth froze up and they were all out within about 3 mins. I had no pain at all, no swelling either and although I was tired, I was pretty much back to normal in a couple of days. I know you are worried about the fact that you're teeth are broken, but I've read on one of the threads that it's actually easier to extract them because the crowns not in the way. But even if they do have a little more trouble, you don't need to worry because they are so used to extractions that they could probably do it blindfolded, as my dentist told me! The whole thing with extractions is usually easier than you think, and it's over so quickly so please don't worry, it's really a non-event ?You certainly shouldn't put it off any longer than necessary, good luck!

Thankyou so much for your reply. Weirdly I am not worried about the pain - I wish I knew what it was about the dentist that scared me but I've yet to figure it out. I know that once I go through with it I'll kick myself for not having done it sooner. Hopefully I'll get up the courage to have them out soon!! x

Thankyou so much for your reply. Weirdly I am not worried about the pain - I wish I knew what it was about the dentist that scared me but I've yet to figure it out. I know that once I go through with it I'll kick myself for not having done it sooner. Hopefully I'll get up the courage to have them out soon!! x

You are so right! You will wonder why you'd been so worried and it will all be behind you. Go for it!

I googled videos of extractions at the gum line and felt much better for knowing how it's done but that may
not be for everybody. It looked much gentler than I had imagined.
I felt absolutely nothing, no pain or even sensation. I worried I would taste or smell something unpleasant but I didn't.
You will be fine, tell your dentist your concerns and mine said if I wanted to stop just put my hand up and we could have a break.
Of everybody I've spoken to nobody has said that an extraction was worse than they thought, everybody seems surprised it's actually ok.

Back