• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction, snapped wayyy below gum line....

J

jc27xx

today i went to the dentist for the first time in over 10 years.
i have an overwhelming fear and its took me this long to build up the courage to go.
the reason i went was because recently one of my back teeth snapped well below the gum line and below the tooth on the gum i developed a bone hard lump.
i suffer from health anxiety, mostly the fear that i have cancer.
this lump then sparked the cancer fear and i just couldnt put the dentist off anymore.
at my appointment i was happy to hear the hard lump was an abscess and would go...after i have the roots of the broken tooth pulled.
happy that i didnt have what i feared most i came home feeling a bit better.
now though im sat here sweating and in tears at the thought of having this tooth pulled..
how on earth are they going to even be able to get a hold of it!?!
can anyone explain what they will do? will i need to have my gum cut? will i feel it? omg will the needles hurt? i literally have 1000000 questions whizzing round my head.
this fear is killing me an i have a whole week until my app.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

The removal of a root is easier than a complete tooth, it is quicker too. I don't think they have to cut your gum but you will be numb and won't feel anything. The injection shouldn't hurt the dentist has a gel called topical that they can rub on your gums before they inject. This numbs the gums so that you don't feel it. If the dentist injects slowly you won't feel it whether or not they use the gel.

Tell the dentist that you are afraid of the injections.

The procedure will go as follows, they will make sure you are really numb and they can check this if you aren't sure. Before they start arrange a stop signal so that you can let them know if you need anything. The signal is usually by raising a hand.
They prepare the area and will lift the root out. I read on here that it is over very quickly, I have had a complete tooth removed and it is so quick, the root will be quicker. You won't even know it is gone until they tell you, they will place a cotton roll on the extraction site and ask you to bite down. This is to help the clot form, once they are happy that is happening they will let you go. They give you aftercare instructions to follow.

It will take you longer to numb up than it will to take the root out.

Please don't get too stressed this time now is the worst it is going to be. You can come on here after and let us know how you get on and write your success story.

All the best to you, you will be fine and it will not hurt :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

Thank you so much for your reply. I've been browsing the forum for a while now and i was hoping to come and find some reassuring words & i have!

Thank you for the advice and information its really helped.
i imagined all kinds of surgical procedures being done i just assumed taking the root would be harder as there doesnt seem to be anything at all to get hold of.

the injections are a worrying thought and due to the fact that i havent been the dentist for anything other than a check up and very shallow fillings when i was younger (which the dentist did with no injection and the pain from the drill was enough to keep me away.)
i didnt know there could be numbing for the injection so that tip has helped ease a lot of the worry.

once again thank you for the advice, i will update after my appointment and hopefully have some reassuring words to offer other worried people!
xxxx

I know the pain from childhood fillings, horrible :cry:. This doesn't happen now and you are an adult, you work with the dentist and they need your consent to touch you, so you are in charge. Just explain that you are terrified of the injections and ask if they have the topical gel that they could rub on your gum. They all have it but a dentist that has a slow delivery of the injection will not need it. The slower the better once one is done the gums start to numb so the others if needed after that you won't feel.

Don't worry if you feel a bit of pressure it is normal and will not hurt you :butterfly:

it was awful i can remember it clear as day and i was only about 11!
it really is a relief to know they can use a numbing gel, so thank you again for telling me that.

im feeling a lot less stressed after coming on here :) :) xxx

Back