• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction tomorrow !!! (GULP !)

A

Achey

Am having a molar extracted tomorrow and am started to feel very anxious.
Can anyone please give me any tips of what to expect ?
Have read that I can't rinse for the first 24 hours (how the heck is one going to eat ?)
And how painful is it afterwards in general?
How long will it take to recover on average?
Am planning to get an implant done next year, but for now, tomorrow is my one worry !

I had a few teeth removed as a child was put to sleep in the chair for the first ones, 2nd lot in two seprate periods local, these were my baby teeth, I could not carry 32 adult teeth, I was not losing my baby teeth fast enough.

As for adult tooth I need one removing, I ate like this strawberry mousse for supper that night, it took me 24 hours to get back to normal,

I did not feel a thing when this dentist removed the tooth, after he put the stuff on to help removed the tooth, a couple of wiggles and it was out, a bit of blood went on his uniform because the tooth fell on the floor.

I go to the dentist but hate my teeth

Extractions are one of the quicker procedures, so that's good. :) You shouldn't be in any pain, but it might feel kind of "forceful". You will be fine though.

No rinsing for 24 hours is probably just to protect against complications. That doesn't mean you can't have some soup or yogurt or other gentle foods - there's a difference between eating/drinking and rinsing your mouth out. I recommend protein shakes as something filling and liquid to have on the first day.

Recovery should only take a few days, and it shouldn't be painful. The area might feel tender like it's bruised, and you might have a little bleeding from the gum tissue, but that's all normal. NSAID painkillers will keep the swelling down. You can treat the extraction site carefully for a few days, not eating on that side, being careful when brushing the surrounding teeth, and you should be fine and experience no complications. Complications are actually rare, so don't get upset over the prospect. People imagine that extraction recovery will be painful and miserable but you'll probably find it's relatively easy.

Last tip, don't look at the extraction site in the mirror and don't poke it with your tongue, for your own peace of mind. It'll look weird and gross to you no matter what, but that's how they all look, and it doesn't mean it's not healing normally. :)

Thank you sooo much for reassuring me Sevena ! I really appreciate it as it's helped to calm me down :)
Your advice is very helpful . May see if I can get hold of some wheat/gluten free protein shakes (I recently found out I have allergy to wheat and am gluten intolerant too...argh !)
Maybe lots of soup and mashed sweet potatoes for the next few days :hmm:
Thanks again for helping to reassure me !:):)

Thank you Thephilsblogbar too:)

Also a bit of a tip from me that night make sure you can have a cheap pillow slip on incase you can blood on, I went away on holiday to Bulgaria two days later (I asked the dentist and his assistant at the time) was I okay to fly, the dentist who removed the tooth was not my current one.

Dont drink through a straw as well. Like Sevena be carefully when brushing after having a tooth remove.

Just woke up from another long nap ?. It went well yesterday,but it definitely feels very uncomfortable now (to be expected I suppose,after all I had a tooth pulled)
Am taking paracetamol and ibuprofen to ease the pain , and am ‘enjoying’ food that is fit for a toddler who can’t chew ?.
Can’t wait until I feel a lot better , and I really can’t wait until I can eat proper food again...started drooling when a cookery programme came on the tv !

Back