• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction with bone

J

Jenk

About 6 weeks ago I had a molar pulled and a chunk of bone came out with the tooth still attached had stitches, 3 weeks later it opened up and then slowly closed up but here I am 6 weeks later and my jaw hurts im getting sharp pains where my tooth was I dont want to go back to the same dentist as he was really rough on my mouth, could the pain be a bone infection? Or just the bone healing up? Just worried because I have a hip replacement and don’t want to mess around with a infection. Thank you in advance.

No, it's not likely to be an infection unless you're having other symptoms? Very bad taste, smell, really, really severe pain, high temperature?
Have you ever taken a class of drug called Bisphosphonates?

6 weeks is not a long time for a large boney defect to heal.

Kinda have a taste of like chalky like, have been getting fevers off and on. When my jaw gets cold the pain really ramps up and I get severe pain where the tooth was on the bottom it gets sharp pains that shoot from where the tooth was up my bottom jaw to the back of my head and up to the top of my head also my hip replacement has been hurting it’s possible its not from the tooth but didn't hurt until it was pulled. I was on antibiotics a few weeks before it was pulled and also had some special mouth wash that was for infection. I didnt have any pain until the skin opened up at 3 weeks but pain started in pretty bad then I have a really high pain tolerance I know it takes awhile to heal when bone comes out too just wasn’t expecting it to start hurting 3-3.5 weeks post. Thank you for help I truly appreciate it.

No, it's not likely to be an infection unless you're having other symptoms? Very bad taste, smell, really, really severe pain, high temperature?
Have you ever taken a class of drug called Bisphosphonates?

6 weeks is not a long time for a large boney defect to heal.
They gave me chlorhexidine gluconate 0.12% oral rinse had to look at it couldn’t remember it off the too of my head. Also antibiotics before I had it pulled for preventative for my hip replacement

Best get back on to your dentist, it could be another piece of bone coming through or a sharp edge on the socket cutting through the gum. Either way it's a quick and easy fix.
No danger to your hip from a dental infection btw.

Back