• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth feels fragile when I bite down on it.

T

ToothPrince

Howdy! Long time reader, first time poster. I just recently got my remaining lower left molar extracted due to infection, so both of the molars in the very back of the left side of my mouth are gone (the other one was extracted years ago).

A few days after the swelling wore off, I began feeling a weird sensation whenever I bite down on the molar on my left. It feels...fragile, like if I bite too hard it'll break. But when I feel it with my tongue or fingers, it feels just as solid as always.

I went to the dentist to have it checked out, and he explained to me that since both molars are gone, the remaining ones are feeling extra pressure when I bite down. He said that I will get used to it, and adjusted the bite a bit to make it more comfortable. I bit down a few times, and it felt alright, so I left. But after I had walked a good distance away, the fragile feeling came back again.

Only good thing about this is that I don't feel any pain whatsoever. But I'm getting pretty nervous. Should I have him adjust it some more? Should I get a second opinion (preferably with an X-ray)? And had anyone ever dealt with this before, and does it get better. It doesn't always happen when I bite down, but it happens pretty frequently.

Thanks for any answers you give.

Hi welcome to the forum.

I would give a a couple of weeks and see if it settles, but be careful near it. If it persists or if you are still worried then go back to the dentist and ask for an x ray. It sounds like you need one if you haven't had one in a couple of years.

If you get no joy from the dentist and are still worried then go and see someone else.

Thanks, carole. Since there's no pain, I think I can wait a couple of weeks. I'll just stick to noodles, pudding and other soft stuff for a bit. Still waiting for the extraction site to fully heal as well.

Back