• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth grinding

M

MumOfBoys1985

Sorry to post here again, I darent phone my dentist incase they think I'm crazy or something. It about my son who has just turned 5, he grinds his teeth terribly. Last Time he went to the dentist the first thing she said was "oh we have a grinder". His top front two teeth are getting really small, it is causing me such anxiety because I want him to have nice teeth, not grind them away to nothing. Sometimes I hear him do it and tell him to stop, but sometimes its at night - if I hear him I roll him over to try and stop him but its not always effective.

He is really good with brushing, twice a day with an electric toothbrush. No fizzy drinks. Sugary snacks only with meals. But his tooth grinding is getting so bad. His top teeth fit perfectly with the shape of the bottom ones

Is there anything I can do to make him stop? I'm absolutely terrified he's going to permanently damage them as well as wearing them away.

Is it even possible to make a 5 year old stop? Isn't he too young to even be grinding them like this?

Thanks in advance

I am not a dentist but maybe you could get him a night guard to wear? At his age I have no idea if they would even recommend a custom one since he will be losing baby teeth and getting permanent ones, but maybe one of the store bought ones? My preteen daughter clenches her teeth at night and it is causing jaw and ear pain. The ENT and dentist told us to get her a night guard.

Thanks MountainMama for your reply. He has only just turned 5, he hasnt got any of his back teeth yet, the dentist said he will get them about 6 or 7 years old. His brother had those ones by this age but I know they're all different. I did wonder about a guard, I wasn't sure if It was a choking risk at such a young age or not. Their dental appt got cancelled for August and they said it'll be after Xmas before they're offering routine check ups Once again. Honestly, I dare not phone them since having to go back and forth myself, they'll think I'm a nuisance.

The sound of his grinding his teeth and clenching his jaw just goes right through me. I am frightened to death he will snap his teeth off or something.

Leave him alone, 99% of the time he'll grow out of it, it's very common during what we call the "mixed dentition phase", when the adult teeth start coming through, but almost always stops when that phase passes.
He won't snap his teeth off.

Thats good to know, thanks Gordon.

I was really worried that the dentist would think I dont look after his teeth properly Because they're getting quite small from it - I Guess it must be easy for a dentist to spot if its from grinding or poor dental hygiene. He is an absolute star with his brushing, he has a go and then I do them after, so together we try to keep good habits. Its just when I look at photos of him from a year or 2 ago his teeth are noticeably smaller. The sound he makes when he does it is so loud. I shall leave him be ... tho when when he has snuck in to my bed at 4am and is doing it right down my ear, I can't promise not to roll him over to his fathers side haha.

Thanks again Gordon, I really appreciate your help and advice.

I would definitely push him over to the other side too :)

Back