• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth infection concerns

E

Electricdaisy

I have been fighting what seems to be a wisdom tooth infection for a month now, swelling and pain pretty minimal after the first couple days of discomfort. Bc of my dental phobia (I actually have not been to the dentist since I was a child), and a lack of dental insurance, I have been researching endlessly about natural remedies, trying everything from gum massages with herbal oils and tinctures to megadoses of vitamin, C, raw garlic, probiotics, red light therapy, you name it. I seem to be keeping the infection somewhat at bay, but there are a few gumlines that will release pus when pressed on😔 and that makes me terrified I might lose those teeth as well. I’ve been also sick with a pretty nasty virus for about 2 weeks now so my body is overwhelmed trying to fight 2 things at once. There is no bad smell, no boils, no bleeding, or any visible inflammation, just the bit of pus and also, my bite has been off since this started. Is it an unreasonable fear that I will lose several teeth or that this infection is eating away at my jawbone? Im holding on to the hope that if this were the case, my body would let me know but my symptoms have been quite mild. I just don’t want to spend thousands of dollars on dental procedures if I could somehow heal this on my own… but terrified also that I am making things worse. How long can one be ok with a tooth infection?

@Electricdaisy you sound like you’re in the same boat as I am. Well a sinking ship is what it’s felt like… We seem to have very similar situations and fears. I’ve been dealing with wisdom teeth issues for over 3 months (I’m 33 and they just suddenly now decided to come in… fast too). I too also have dental phobia which has kept me from going to the dentist since I was a child. I seemed to develop an infection which I’m terrified is spreading and causing more issues. The last week or so I’ve been having extreme discomfort (it feels like a pulling feeling in my gums, not just in the back at the wisdom teeth but the whole mouth). I got an antibiotic from my primary care doctor over a month ago to hopefully treat the infection but I’m pretty sure I still have it. Due to the discomfort and pain my wisdom teeth have been causing I haven’t eaten solid food in over 3 months and I’ve lost over 30 pounds. It’s been miserable. I finally took a baby step and made an appointment with an oral surgeon to assess the damage of my teeth and get the wisdom teeth removed but I still have a little over a week until that consultation. I’m absolutely terrified that I caused more issues putting this off. Due to the sensitivity in my teeth they always feel loose which has led me to stop taking care of my teeth all together. My mouth is in bad shape with the plaque build up and infection. As for the infection I would say to try warm salt water rinses (not sure if you have tried that yet). It seems to provide some relief when it comes to the inflammation and pain.

Back