• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth next to one extracted just not right

K

Kabol77

Sorry for the long post ... ?
I had my top right first molar removed over a year ago now (Oct 2019) as I was getting pain. The dentist told me it was because of gum disease that I had the pain. Everything seemed to go well with the extraction but about 5/6 week after I felt the tooth next to it (second premolar?) suck up into my gum slightly and my bite felt like I was biting down on a sponge. It also felt like something had snapped off or something was was stuck under my gum and it felt like it could move and make the second premolar feel a lot bigger. There was still really no pain just the annoyance of something being stuck. When I checked in the mirror it appeared a triangle section of the interior gum had disappeared and by then the gum felt quite sore but I thought it was as I was trying to suck out whatever was stuck!
In Feb I made an appointment with the dentist and he said it looked like I had burnt my gum on something hot but I’d not recalled doing that. He said the gum looked quite inflamed and said it could be an ulcer under the tooth and prescribed three days of antibiotics which didn’t make any difference. I went back again in March and he took an X-ray and said the gum still seemed inflamed but nothing was stuck. I’d been reading about sometimes a bit of tooth breaking off and getting left behind at extraction but he seemed quite insulted at the thought and told me I just need to leave it alone as all the messing with it wouldn’t be helping and prescribed me another weeks’ worth of a different antibiotics but when I left the dentists I felt as if he thought it was all in my head. We then went on lockdown and couldn’t go back to see them although I still wasn’t getting pain, just an annoyance and thought I would be wasting their time. Over this time I’ve studied what I’m experiencing and all of these symptoms I have experienced;

• felt like biting down on a sponge;

• Like something is stuck under the tooth below the gum;

• like the tooth sometimes gets bigger;

• like maybe the tooth had snapped in half as half seemed slightly wobblier,

• maybe my filling has broken off and sunk inside the tooth and that’s what feels stuck when it’s moving around?

• At the top of the gum it seems like I can move something which changes the way my tooth feels when I bite down but no physical change to the tooth when I’m looking in the mirror.

• My jaw makes a little click noise sometimes when I’m chewing which it didn’t do before.
I want to go back as I feel like I’m constantly sucking on my tooth and it’s now beginning to take over but I’m scared he will think I’m a hypochondriac. Does anyone have any idea what this could be or experienced anything similar please or do you think I should go see a Doctor instead as surely anything that was there/wrong would have shown up on the X-ray and the antibiotics would have worked?
I am constantly thinking it’s all in my head but my tongue is sore with all the messing with it and I don’t want to eat as it just doesn’t feel right when I do. All my other teeth feel fine and still thankfully no real pain. Sorry again for the long post

I think you should visit a different dentist and get a second opinion. What you were told by the first dentist doesn't make sense, you can't get an ulcer under a tooth. 2 different antibiotics without a diagnosis doesn't make much sense either.

I think you should visit a different dentist and get a second opinion. What you were told by the first dentist doesn't make sense, you can't get an ulcer under a tooth. 2 different antibiotics without a diagnosis doesn't make much sense either.

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my long post. I too think I need a second opinion as I feel as though my dentist thinks I’m imagining something that isn’t there. The first time he prescribed Metronidazole for 3 days for what he said he thought was ulcerative gingivitis. The second time I was prescribed amoxicillin for 7 days but neither of them made any difference other than giving me side effects! It’s very difficult getting in to see another dentist as there are very limited practices accepting new patients so unless I pay privately, I am finding it difficult but will keep trying.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply ☺️

Back