Tooth pain even after 8 months of composite fillings

U

Useruser

Hi,
I had 4 tooth cavity fillings in the month of June 2018. The numbers are 13,14,15,19.
I had severe sharp pain after the fillings done and I went to my dentist and he filed down the high fillings. I went for four visits as I always feel some discomfort or some pressure in the left lower side of my mouth. He filed down the extra in my 3 visits and in the 4th visit, he said there might be bubbles inside the filling and the filling has to be replaced.
I am always very nervous about dental visit and this was my first cavity filling done in my life. So, I was worried about doing it again. He told that it has to be redone to the tooth number 19.He didn't take any x-rays.
I am so worried and didn't go back to the dentist. I still get the pain or pressure feeling in my lower left side of the mouth. I am not sure if it's because of the air bubbles in the tooth number 19 or the fillings done in the upper left side tooth too. I am not sure which one is causing problem. How to identify the air bubbles in the cavity filling? What should do I do now?
kindly please help me with your advice. It really makes me nervous.
Thank you!

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
That's a pretty poor explanation of the problem. What's happened is that the bond between the filling and tooth has failed.

This leads to microscopic movement between the filling and tooth substance which causes a pumping effect in the little dentine tubes that go between the nerve in the tooth and the outer enamel. This pumping effect causes pain on biting, thermal changes and so on.
The only cure is to replace the filling and hopefully get the bond right this time... if you're feeling the symptoms on the bottom left then that's where I would start.

Composite fillings are horrifically difficult to get exactly right, it's one of the reasons we charge a lot more for doing them!

U

Useruser

That's a pretty poor explanation of the problem. What's happened is that the bond between the filling and tooth has failed.

This leads to microscopic movement between the filling and tooth substance which causes a pumping effect in the little dentine tubes that go between the nerve in the tooth and the outer enamel. This pumping effect causes pain on biting, thermal changes and so on.
The only cure is to replace the filling and hopefully get the bond right this time... if you're feeling the symptoms on the bottom left then that's where I would start.

Composite fillings are horrifically difficult to get exactly right, it's one of the reasons we charge a lot more for doing them!
Thank you so much @Gordon for your quick reply. I really appreciate it.
I tried my best to be explain my problem. I was worried that refilling the tooth involves more drilling and I lose more if my tooth shape.
Is there a way to identify if there is air bubbles present? And how to identify the bond is not proper between the filling and the tooth? Please help.

Do you think I should go for a second dentist as I am not much satisfied with my first dentist? Please help.

U

Useruser

I just have another quick question.
If we have air bubbles in the fillings, does it hurt when we go in flights? Is it a myth or truth?
I have an international trip coming up. I am so worried whether this cause any severe pain while flying.

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi Useruser,
If you had air bubbles within the filling itself, this would not cause pain during flying. The problem is associated with gas trapped within untreated cavities which can cause pain as the air pressure changes, so you should be fine.
Enjoy the trip

Lincoln

U

Useruser

Hi Useruser,
If you had air bubbles within the filling itself, this would not cause pain during flying. The problem is associated with gas trapped within untreated cavities which can cause pain as the air pressure changes, so you should be fine.
Enjoy the trip

Lincoln
Thank you so much for your reply @drhirst.
I am planning to go for second opinion to check this issue. Do you think I should do the refilling with resin again? Does the composite resin filling cause the same issues if refilled again?
Does the x-rays show the air bubbles? How to identify if I have air bubbles in the filling? What could be the problem for the pain or discomfort in the area?

U

Useruser

Hi Useruser,
Enjoy the trip

Lincoln
I have another quick question.
I don't feel my upper and lower tooth not meeting properly after this fillings are done. Not any sharp pain though when I try to touch upper and lower ones together. But it's not meeting or aligning properly.
Please help.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
X-rays won't show the problem.
Yes, refill with composite can cause the same problem if it doesn't bond to the tooth properly. The air bubbles are not in the filling, there are microscopic gaps between the filling and your tooth where the filling hasn't been bonded to the tooth substance properly.

The fillings aren't properly contoured if you feel them "high" in your bite. Common problem with composite fillings and should be easy to fix.

U

Useruser

X-rays won't show the problem.
Yes, refill with composite can cause the same problem if it doesn't bond to the tooth properly. The air bubbles are not in the filling, there are microscopic gaps between the filling and your tooth where the filling hasn't been bonded to the tooth substance properly.

The fillings aren't properly contoured if you feel them "high" in your bite. Common problem with composite fillings and should be easy to fix.
Thank you so much for your reply @Gordon .
Oh!! X-rays don't show the bubbles? Thanks fo the information.
It looks like I should go for refilling. I was so scared for refilling as it involves more drilling and what if the same issues comes back again.
Do I need to ask for any other filling like amalgam other than composite? Which one is the best?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Amalgam is a whole lot easier to use than composite, doesn't look as pretty though :)

It's being phased out worldwide though so you might not be able to get it so easily. Part of the Minamoto accords to reduce Mercury use world wide :)

U

Useruser

Amalgam is a whole lot easier to use than composite, doesn't look as pretty though :)

It's being phased out worldwide though so you might not be able to get it so easily. Part of the Minamoto accords to reduce Mercury use world wide :)
Thank you so much for your reply.
The upper and lower tooth misaligning happens because of the air bubbles in the fillings? Should I get it refilled or should I go to a second opinion to check the bites? I went 3 times after my fillings are done. I asked for bite check and he did the corrections. I went for the fourth time and he said I have to refill the filling and didn't check my bite.
Please suggest.

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No.
You have 2 different issues by the sound of it the issue with the sensitivity is that the bonding between filling and tooth has not worked. The misaligning is because the filling is the wrong shape on the surface.

This air bubbles thing is not helpful... I'm not sure what the dentist thought they were doing by telling you this.

U

Useruser

No.
You have 2 different issues by the sound of it the issue with the sensitivity is that the bonding between filling and tooth has not worked. The misaligning is because the filling is the wrong shape on the surface.

This air bubbles thing is not helpful... I'm not sure what the dentist thought they were doing by telling you this.
Thank you so much @Gordon.
Do you say that I don't need the refilling? I am so confused and worried about it now. I am planning to go to a different dentist to check this issue. If the new dentist also says it has to be refilled, should I go ahead and refill it ? Or any bite adjustments will correct these issues?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
No I didn't say that.
It's possible that correcting the bite will stop the symptoms but it's unlikely from your description, so I think refilling will probably be necessary.

U

Useruser

No I didn't say that.
It's possible that correcting the bite will stop the symptoms but it's unlikely from your description, so I think refilling will probably be necessary.
Thank you so much.

U

Useruser

I just have another question.
I am planning to go to a different dentist this time to check this issue. I need to tell them the history and they may take new x-rays if needed.
I don't have any new x-rays after the fillings done. Should I tell the new dentist that my previous dentist said that there are air bubbles and I had to refill the fillings. Should I tell this or not? Or I just mention the issue and wait for their inputs/solutions?

Gordon

Gordon

Administrator
Staff member
Verified dentist
Mention that you're having problems and answer their questions as best as you can.

U

Useruser

Mention that you're having problems and answer their questions as best as you can.
Thank you so much.
Why I am so worried to go to the second dentist is, I am new to the country and I did see the online reviews for my first dentist and I went there. But, I am not satisfied with his work now. So,I am again looking into the online reviews to choose another dentist.
If I go say them that the first dentist says that there are air bubbles and has to be refilled and if they say the same without any x-ray,I am so worried about this. I am really in a situation not to trust any dentist office.
I will answer the questions to my best as I can.

drhirst

drhirst

Super Moderator
Verified dentist
Hi Useruser,
I think getting the opinion of an endodontist is an excellent idea. They are often the best people when it comes to identify the source of these types of pains.

U

Useruser

Hi Useruser,
I think getting the opinion of an endodontist is an excellent idea. They are often the best people when it comes to identify the source of these types of pains.
Thank you so much for your reply @drhirst. Appreciate it.
I will check with them.
Also, can you see any air bubbles in these fillings?