• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth pain. How to alleviate?

S

scaredbeyondadoubt

Hi all! Long time, no talk.

I need some help, basically I’ve got an infected tooth beneath my crown. I went to the dentist today and I was prescribed antibiotics and a painkiller but I don’t go back in until may 31st for a root canal.

Does anybody have any suggestions for the pain that isn’t clove oil or something like that? I’ve been doing advil and that slightly helps. Ice is okay. I tried heat, that was a mistake. What else can I do? I’m in a lot of pain and it’s radiating up to my ear. I’m having trouble sleeping and not sleeping at all.

All this to say, I’m not having a good time and I know I’ll feel better in a few days but dang. 😭😭

Orajel numbs it if you can get it at a pharmacy near you :)

do you mind if i ask why you won't do clove oil? so many people suggested clove oil to me on the internet when i had horrible pain a couple weeks back but am too scared to try.

honestly? the only thing that gave me an ounce of relief (although short lived) was cold water and held it next to the tooth even if for a slight second. i have found that orajel never helped me in the past with infections, but am too scared to use that these days anyway

@fearfulteefies I just wanted something I maybe had at home. I’m just very uncomfortable atm and the idea of going out was the worst. I ended up going to my local co-op today and getting a toothache oil that has clove, cinnamon and oregano oil in it so we’ll see how that works 🤷🏼‍♀️

Update: I bought a toothache oil and just clove oil. The toothache oil worked okay. Just tried the clove oil and I’m 95% pain free. 😭 obviously, please go see a dentist if you think you’ve got an infection or abscess but this definitely helps while I wait for the antibiotics to kick in and for my root canal(yippie)

@scaredbeyondadoubt maybe I should keep some clove oil on hand. The worst thing in the world is being woken up at 1am with a toothache and not having anything but prayer 🤣

Scaredbeyondadoubt, so sorry to hear of your toothpain and infection. Sure am glad to hear the tooth ache oil helped you to get to 95%! Tooth infection pain is no fun at all! I might keep calling and seeing if there are cancels. I had a tooth mobility issue and my dentist didn't have any appts but kept trying and I called and he was able to get me in within the hour. I was lucky my job let me :) but.. you never know , a last min appt maybe they can get you in sooner than May 31? Sure wish the best and hope the pain stays away until then.

Back