• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth pulled several months ago -- time to start thinking about an implant?

R

RushSlowly

I had my tooth pulled a few months ago, and I have been noticing slight changes in my bite. Some days when I bite down, I notice that my teeth fall into different spots that don't feel quite even to me. The tooth that was extracted was my bottom most, left molar; HOWEVER, I still have the wisdom tooth behind that, as it came in sideways and now just kinda sticks out over where the tooth used to be.

Should I be really concerned about getting an implant? I don't want my teeth to shift and get all crooked and ugly, but I also don't have any money to drop on a thousand dollar procedure. I'm only 25 and do not have any dental coverage, so I pay every nickle and dime out of pocket. And, being young, I have so many other expenses such as rent, car payment, student loans, etc. My dentist is also pressuring me into getting my two bottom (and impacted) wisdom teeth out. I'm also concerned that they are going to cause my teeth to shift more because I now have that open space, and my impacted wisdom tooth pushing against it.

Anybody ever been in a similar situation and can give some advice?

Hi. You generally wouldn't get an implant to replace a second molar but you should check to see that the other teeth are stable in the bite.
Part erupted wisdom teeth can often cause decay in the back of the tooth in front, maybe this is why you lost the second molar? You certainly wouldn't want to lose another I'm sure.
So, save the implant cost and get the wisdom's out if that's needed

Back