• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tooth removed now bad breath??

G

Former Member
I just had a tooth removed(second from back top left) a little over a month ago. It was badly chipped and there was no saving it. Since then, Ive gotten a horriable oder and my breath is so bad.. It is so embarrasing! I was told to get a syriange and salt water and rush the whole, to make sure no food was in there, which i do 2 times a day, but that has not worked, I have started to brush my teeth 6-8 times a day, gargel with salt water, and the salt in the syriange in squirted in the hole.. and in between have mints in my mouth but the smell is still there? What can it be and what can I do? Ive made a app with my dentist but its not for almost 2 weeks so I badly need help...Dont kow if this matters but Im 21, dont drink, non smoker, havent changed anything since having it removed? And it doesnt hurt, there is no pain what so ever, just a very bad smell...

Hi there, sorry to hear about your problem.

This isn't a silly question, but have you noticed any problems with your nose since the tooth came out, any sort of discharge or "drip" or anything? I know it sounds stupid, but there IS a good reason for asking, I'm not trying to make a fool of you.

:(

No, I havent experienced any problem with my nose, everything has been normal except the smell, which in itself is enough.....Where the tooth was remoed has healed up, not sore, there is no bad spots, no infection, nothing.....

Sorry to say, you'll need to see your dentist, I can't think of anything that might be causing this from this end.
Could (s)he squeeze you in a bit sooner for a quick look-see?

For those interested, the questions about the nose are because very rarely when the tooth comes out, the roots of the tooth are lying in the nasal sinus, so you can make a direct connection between the mouth and the nose. You tend to get a discharge from the nose as well as the bad taste/smell.
It doesn't happen very often so I didn't see the point in mentioning it and getting the original poster worried for nothing ;D