• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth sticking out of my gum

B

Bryanna98

I'm 18 and all of my baby teeth are gone. I can't remember when I noticed this but I remember having this hard bump near the back of my gums on the top jaw I didn't think much of it. Until a few months passed I couldn't stop thinking about that bump because it's only on one side of my mouth and not the other. that started to bother me. so I felt it and it felt hard like bone and I got a flashlight and looked and I seen a tiny bit of white and I freaked out thinking that it's the root of my molar. I'm still freaked out because it's gotten bigger. But the weird thing is it doesn't hurt at all. Like no pain at all and no sensitivity. I can touch it and it doesn't feel like anything and I can eat and drink normally and brush my teeth. I can't find the option to post a picture but it's on my top left part of my jaw in the middle of my two last molars it looks like I'm growing another tooth it has ridges. I'm to scared to go to the dentist because my last dentist couldn't even pull my last baby tooth out correctly. I had to finish his job because he left pieces of tooth in my gums. He also took an X-ray of my mouth the day he took the baby tooth out. How could he not have seen that I have an extra tooth coming in.

Without a picture it's hard to say for sure but it could be a wisdom tooth (third molar) coming in. They usually start coming in around age 18.

Without a picture it's hard to say for sure but it could be a wisdom tooth (third molar) coming in. They usually start coming in around age 18.

I'm not sure how to post a picture do you think i could get your email so i can send you the picture?

ok i got it

Attachments

• tooth.jpg
    tooth.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 47
That is an interesting and relatively rare situation. It appears to be an extra tooth (also known as a supernumerary tooth) that has decided to erupt in an unusual location. I'd recommend you see an oral surgeon for removal. Once it has been removed they can make sure that is all it is and make sure it won't cause any additional problems.

Oh great.. I don't think medicade will cover that. How could my dentist not tell me that when he took the xrays

Bryanna,

Medicaid should cover this as an extraction. It is not a third molar, it is just an extra tooth that decided to grow right there. Very cool situation but I would get it out ASAP. What happens is that the tooth grows the crown (head) first and then grows its roots. These roots on this extra "special" tooth with grow into the roots of those molars and could cause them some trouble.

Have to been able to find a medicaid clinic in your area?

Kolya RDH

Back