Tooth still sensitive even eight months after filling

Z

zacktooth

Tooth still sensitive even eight months after filling

I went to see dentist (First time in my life) in Dec 2011 because of sharp tooth pain. The dentist checked it and found decay in a left bottom molar and he performed a filling. He said it is a deep filling as it is close to nerve. After the filling, I didn’t feel sharp pain anymore, but the tooth became sensitive to cold, hot, sweet and pressure, so I back to the same dentist for a check in Apr 2012. He took an X-ray, but X-ray doesn’t show much. He also carefully checked the tooth, but didn’t found any wrong. He recommended root canal to remove nerve so the tooth will not be sensitive. As I didn’t feel any pain if you don’t use the tooth and since filling I eat food using the other side teeth, I also checked on the internet and I found that A pulp with reversible pulpitis has mild inflammation and it is capable of healing, so I didn’t take his advice. I hope it will reverse to normal.

In the past four months, I feel the sensitivity is becoming less. I worry the tooth is becoming dead (I find this online: If a long-standing injury is left without treatment (e.g. bacteria as a result of a faulty filling), inflammation will become long standing, and the tooth's pulp will eventually die.), so I went to see another dentist in Aug 2012. He checked my tooth and took x-ray, but didn’t found anything wrong. I didn’t recommend root canal but let me use sensitive toothpaste and check again in two months.

My Current Symptom:

• It is only sensitive to very cold or hot, and the pain ceases a few seconds after I remove the cold/hot.
  • I can chew soft food like rice, noodle or bread with little dull pain.
  • Pain never occurred by itself
  • The Tooth is normal at all other time.

I would like to know whether this sensitivity will go away (back to normal) or it would eventually get worse and I have to have a root canal.

If anyone with similar experience or a professional can give an advice, I really do appreciated. I surfed lots online, and didn’t find any similar case. Desperate for help

J

jellyfish

I had four fillings do this last year after being replaced, with pain (shooting pain, not mild pain) to bite but no sensitivity to hot/cold. Three of the teeth became worse with time and ended with root canals, but one filling just stayed at the same level of sensitivity. That fourth filling was 'fixed' by removing the offending composite filling and putting in a temporary sedative filling for a few weeks. The sedative fillings contain substances (like clove oil) that calm down the nerve in the tooth. My tooth immediately stopped being sensitive with the sedative filling. After about two weeks with the sedative filling, my dentist took out the sedative filling and re-filled the tooth with a permanent amalgam filling. The new amalgam filling has no sensitivity.

There are 'liners' that the dentist can place under the filling to reduce sensitivity - maybe you can ask your dentist if they used one on your tooth? Or if you want a second opinion, visit an endodontist - they have special tests that will find out if the nerve in the tooth is still alive or if you need a root canal.

Hope that helps!

Z

zacktooth

Hi Jellyfish,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience, I may visit an endodontist to check my nerve in the next checkup. Now I am using Dentist-recommended toothpaste and hope it works.

R

Ramesh

Hi,

I have a similar tooth problem, I got the filling done 2 months back and the sensitivity of the tooth still persists, I visited the dentist and he asked me to wait for couple of months so that the pain might subside else I will have to get a root canal done.
Please let me know if your teeth sensitivity disappeared by just waiting or did you have to get a root canal done.

Thank you.

B

bun

If any of you havent tried already; try some Sensodyome or toothpaste for sensitive teeth. >_<

It helps! Trust me! I had one stubborn deep filling but Sensodyome did wonders for me. :)