• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth still sensitive

G

ghost whistler

When I saw my dentist a few weeks ago with sensitive tooth problems he took one look and said the enamel was worn and said i should use pro enamel toothpaste. I don't think that's worked - does that stuff ever work? Does it really replace enamel. I'm still getting symptoms and buying that stuff is a lot more expensive than regular toothpaste. I don't know whether I should go back? Maybe he didn't do as thorough job examining as he should. On the other hand, he's the expert. Can't say I really like the idea of going back and having to have a root canal.

I think that sensodyne or similar tooth pastes do work sometimes. If you are still having a lot of sensitivity I would go back to the dentist or ask about it at your next appt.

Why do you think a root canal will be the treatment? I had some serious sensitivity on one tooth that was relieved by the dentist using something called Gluma that was painted on the tooth wear the recession had occurred exposing some dentin. That worked very well for me, but he said if that didn't work, he could try bonding (like a filling) that area of the tooth. If sensitivity is due to enamel loss (or in my case exposure of the tooth where there wasn't enamel), a root canal does not seem like the right course of treatment.

I think you can call up the office. Ask them what to do. My dentist has prescribed me prescription toothpaste with fluride and a fluride rinse. Maybe he can try something like that. I hope you get help with this.

My dentist said Colgate Pro Enamel (which i couldn't find), but's only because I told him i broush with Colgate anyway. Personally I'm skeptical of any of the advanced claims that products make these days and one brand is probably much the same as another. During the appointment he did squirt some stuff into my mouth on the tooth which I guess is analogous to the stuff mentioned above.

Gluma has to be painted on and cured - you probably would have known if that's what he was doing.

I hate to resurrect an old thread, but it seemed better than opening another thread entirely. I've been using Colgate Daily Tooth Repair, but I don't think it's helping. I have a really sensitive tooth now and even applying the toothpaste when i brush triggers it. Is there anything I can try or will i have to go back to the dentist and see what he can do? Or is it just wear and tear.

I would suggest going back to the dentist at this point. He may be able to do something easy that will help a lot. Fingers crossed for you that it's an easy fix!

Back