• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth won’t come out

• Thread starter worriedaboutteethandgums
  • Start date
W

worriedaboutteethandgums

I have a baby tooth that just won’t fall out or even wobble. Right underneath the baby tooth is an adult tooth but it won’t push through.

I’m going to have the baby tooth extracted but I’m worried that the adult tooth will not appear, even after my extraction.

My orthodontist mentioned surgery, if the adult tooth doesn’t appear on its own. Can someone please explain what the surgery might be like?

I can’t explain the surgery as it may be different for you as what I had. It probably differs for each person. From my experience, most of the time the permanent teeth will come through once the baby tooth is out. I had many of my baby teeth that wouldn’t come out, even with the permanent tooth under them. I had quite a few extracted at the dentist...I want to say about eight. My baby teeth were slow to come out anyway.
The only permanent teeth that did not come through were my upper canines, and the orthodontist knew they were going to need surgery as they were actually in the roof of my mouth, laying sideways. They had no room to come down.
My daughter has had three impacted permanent teeth so far. Her bottom lateral incisor was coming in at a diagonal under her gums, and blocking the canine tooth. She had to have her two baby teeth pulled, then she had braces to move the lateral incisor over once it emerged. Her canine still hasn’t come in a year later, but the orthodontist is going the route of braces again to make more room rather than surgery. So don’t panic yet...your tooth may come in with no issues once the baby tooth is out of the way.

Back