• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache 4 months after root canal?

K

kaybee

In May, I had a root canal done in one appointment because of my dental phobia. So I never got a permanent crown. I had a temporary filling when they were done and then about a week later I went into my general dentist and he removed the temporary filling and put in a permanent filling so there is no crown. I went in for my regular 3 month checkup and then I moved away to college. It's been 4 months since my root canal and now it has some pain. It hurts when I floss down to the gum. Not excruciating pain, but some pain. When I take my finger and push against the side surface, it doesn't really hurt, but when I take my finger and tap the top of the tooth, it hurts. Also, it's the tooth next to it that hurts as well. When I curl my lower lip into my mouth the gum underneath the two teeth feels some pressure pain. I have a hard time biting into food because it hurts. There's no sensitivity to heat or cold. What could it be? I'm really scared I'll have to get it done again... :/ :cry:

Hi it could be the tooth that didn't have a rct is causing the problem and you have referred pain, or the tooth with the rct has an infection and needs looking at. It could be that the rct'd tooth needs more time to settle down and it might right itself.

You need to see your dentist so that they can take a look and maybe even take an x ray so that they can see what is happening and discuss any treatment you may need, or not.

It could even be that the filling is a bit high and is causing you your problems, this is very easily corrected. It requires no injections, no pain and is quick for the dentist to do. Ask them to check your bite first.

All the best to you, let us know how you get on please :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly: