• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache/gums aching after cleaning?

B

Blot

I went to dentist last week for normal check up and had teeth cleaned as I usually do every 6 months. However, I dont usually have the water cleaning thing (dont know what its called) as I find it too painful and my dentist just uses the metal thing. This time he used the water spray thing and it was quite painful. I should have stopped him but I get so anxious and didnt want to make a fuss so I just let him get on with it. He said he could see that my gum around the very back tooth was a bit inflamed so told me to dab corsodyl mouthwash on it for a few days until it settled.
So one week later my teeth on that side are still aching a bit. The gums feel a lot better than they were but still feel a bit weird/itchy? So my question is, is this normal to be happening a week after the cleaning. I dont know whether the pain is coming from the teeth or the gum - how can you tell. What can I do and will it settle down if I just leave things. I am an extremely anxious person and probably worry too much but it is causing concern. Also my dentist is private and I cannot really afford £30 just for him to have a look and say everything is fine. I am probably making things feel worse than they are by worrying. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
a bit of sensitivity or tenderness after cleaning is not unusual. If the problem is gradually subsiding then don't worry. If it persists/worsens then return to the dentist