• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache: please help!

R

rosie1418

Hello, at the beginning of July I had 3 amalgam fillings. Just recently I've been having a dull toothache which on a scale of 1-10, is probably a 2. I've had this feeling for about a week now, and I think it might be getting worse. It's not really a pain, I just know it's there. Also, when I drink cold drinks I feel sensitivity in this tooth. The tooth which I believe is causing me this trouble is the second molar in from the back, which is also right next to my tooth with the filling.

I'm going on holiday on Thursday and just really do not know what to do. I had a really bad experience with my dentist that did my fillings and so I really do not want to go back to the same dentist. But with such short notice, I don't think I'm going to find another one before Thursday and I don't feel like I could phone up and request an emergency appointment because I'm not in severe pain. I'm just very worried that this is going to get worse whilst I'm away in Turkey for one week. I don't know what to do, whether I should get it checked as an emergency or wait until I return.

I've also been reading online that if the toothache is caused by a cavity then I'm likely to need a root canal? I'm only 17 and really do not think I could face this. I already have a phobia of going to the dentist which has now been amplified after my encounter with my current dentist.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read!

Hi Rosie,

Can you get an appt with another dentist in the same practice just to get it checked out before you go?

If you're only away for a week then you could take plenty of pain killers with you, and if it gets really bad you could perhaps see a dentist in Turkey after asking around for a decent one of course?

Back