• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache Problem - Driving me insane

F

farsleycc

Hi,

I am in some real discomfort with toothache at the minute.

Just to give you some details of my problem?

I went to the emergency dentist on Boxing Day after getting toothache in my upper right teeth, he told me it was a sinus problem and gave me 2 weeks anti-biotics.

This didn’t fix the problem, and I went to my normal dentist.

He did an x-ray and found a hairline crack, where 2 teeth meet and put a filling into repair the problem.

The pain went away for 3 weeks, so I went back to the dentist, he couldn’t see anything wrong with the filling but took it out and replaced it.

The pain then went away for 3 months, until Monday night. I have been back to the dentist, he has done an x-ray and couldn’t find anything wrong. So has given me 1 weeks gum antibiotoics, as he said there is nothing wrong with the filling.

I have been on the antibiotics since Wednesday and have seen no improvement. I can hardly sleep at night, it is driving me insane.

We talked about pulling a tooth out, but without knowing what tooth it actually is I don’t want that to happen.

I can not put anything hot or cold anywhere near the area, and chewing something like steak/muesli is hard and painful.

Does anybody have any ideas what my problem could be?

Thanks

Stuart

Hi Stuart :welcome: could you get a second opinion and maybe get another dentist to see if they could find the problem.

Is the filling a deep one, this can sometimes take time to settle down, although it has been a while now, and I would have thought it would have settled by now. :)

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The filling is a deep filling, but my dentist has said that it is well away from the nerve.

Im going to give the antibiotics a few more days to see if they have any impact. If not, ill seek a second opinion as I dont want my tooth extracting if not absoluetly necessary.

Stuart

Back