• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothache weeks after filling...

M

mel-m

Hello,

I had my first filling (in over 10 years) the other week, and now I'm experiencing toothache. It hasn't been constant, in fact it only really started yesterday. I noticed that when I ran my tongue along the top of the tooth at the front it was very sensitive and sore, but by the evening this became a constant pain. It's not as severe as the toothache I had before I got the filling, but today the ache is enough to be a nuisance/prevent me from eating and ibuprofen/paracetamol doesn't seem to be helping. To be honest, I'm not 100% sure the toothache is coming from that tooth as it's hurting the whole top left side of my mouth. I do need fillings on other teeth in that area, but I'm pretty sure it's the tooth I had the filling in as when I run my tongue along the gum at the top it hurts more.

The filling was very deep and he determined there and then that I didn't need a root canal, but now I'm worried I have an abcess there or something? Is there anything else it could be?

Since I had the filling, I've only been eating on the side where I had it, as I have quite a large cavity on the other side which often gets food stuck in it and things (bleurgh) so could I have overdone it in some way? Or damaged the filling?

I realise all these questions should be directed to my dentist, but at the moment he's in Barbados and I have an appointment next Monday so was just wondering if anyone had any advice. If it gets really bad, I'll have to ring the practice and see if they have a locum dentist or something, but to be honest, I'm doing so well with my own dentist because I've built up trust with him and feel like he 'knows' me, so I'm rather apprehensive about seeing a locum :(

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

It sounds like the nerve in the tooth is failing and you may need a root canal. Hopefully it'll give you a bit more time before it gets any more painful and you can get your own dentist to sort it out for you.

Thank you for your response, Gordon. I rang the dentist after I'd made the post yesterday and found that he was back in the practice today. I now have an appointment for tomorrow morning for a root canal :( :cry:

Back