• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothpaste and ulcers

Y

Yorkie

Hi,
I switched toothpaste recently on recommendation of my dentist - to a Colgate product - since then my mouth has broken out in numerous ulcers (all at once) right at the back and the back roof of my mouth, and uvula is extremely sore/red. I've read in a couple of internet places of people experiencing similar problems when switching to Colgate products. Anyone experienced anything similar? I intend to switch back to my other toothpaste as I never had any problems with it. It hurts so bad to eat, and even swallow at times. Currently rinsing with my mouthwash and applying bonjela to try and ease the pain of it

I have had this before too. Some doctors say the culprit is sodium lauryl sulfate. I use Sensodyne without the SLS and it is fine. I did have a period where I was filled with painful sores though.

Also there is a mouthwash made by Orajel and another made by Colgate (I think) speciifcally for mouth sores.

p.s. no alcohol in the mouthwash, it irritates them more

Back