• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothpastes, Mouthwashes, Etc.

P

Peachling

Is there such a thing as brushing your teeth too much?

Also i was wondering if there is actually any toothpastes out there that are bad for you.

I use one called Sensodyne Pronamel which contains alot of fluoride.

i also use Listerine but have just briefly read up on something that this is infact not great for your teeth.

Any advice?

the dentists on the board dont like mouthwash full stop.

as for tooth pastes not sure but i was talking to my sisters friend whos a dentist and she said, alot of the toothpastes in japan actually contained sugar which lead to alot of the japanese ( the japanese patients she had) having bad teeth.

but as for the UK i dont think thats the case

Thought I would give this thread a little love. A coupe of years ago I started using something called Theradent after brushing. It helped calm down some of the smaller, more annoying pain along my gumline and helped with the sensitivity in my teeth.

As for why a lot of Dentists don;t like mouthwashes. Well a lot of us have seen patients substitute mouthwash for brushing and flossing, which leads to big time caries in the end. AT least that is my reason for not being a big fan of mouthwash.

Thought I would give this thread a little love. A coupe of years ago I started using something called Theradent after brushing. It helped calm down some of the smaller, more annoying pain along my gumline and helped with the sensitivity in my teeth.

As for why a lot of Dentists don;t like mouthwashes. Well a lot of us have seen patients substitute mouthwash for brushing and flossing, which leads to big time caries in the end. AT least that is my reason for not being a big fan of mouthwash.

That is EXACTLY what my OH got in trouble with the dentist for at his last check... but did he have any caries?!?! Of course not... Some people are born lucky!

He's on brush-watch with me now though, morning and night or he gets in trouble (he comes with me to my appointments so I'll dob him in with Miss R if he doesn't keep it up! :))

Whitening toothpastes are abrasive therefore over brushing with these can cause abrasion cavities (concavities in the enamel, usually at the neck of the teeth).

Sensodyne pro enamel is a good toothpaste to use.

Mouthwash is not good for much because:
-people think they can use it instead of brushing
-people tend to use it after brushing, flushing away all the useful toothpaste deposits containing fluoride.
-It doesn't reach under the gums - so not too useful in periodontal disease.

Chlorohexidine mouthwash is effective but this should be used under advice from your clinician. The mouthwash is particularly useful after surgery when brushing in that particular area is difficult.

Back