• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Toothsome's journey through dental fear

T

toothsome

Well I have my first appointment in over 10 years scheduled for a week from now. I'm insanely nervous, and have been obsessively reading about all sorts of procedures and problems teeth can have every day now for about two weeks.

Some good news though! I had a rather large area on one of my front teeth that I was convinced was decay, which was part of what prompted me to schedule an appointment, but today I noticed that it had changed color, and was looking more like tartar. Sure enough, I took a scraper to it and the whole mess came right off! You cannot imagine my relief. I know the appointment will not be pretty but that was the tooth I was most worried about, so the relief is very real.

I had also found a small bump inside my mouth that I had been obsessing about for days -is it an absess, is it oral cancer, etc etc. I have figured out now though that it is most likely a torus mandibularis, given it's location. Another huge relief!

I am still terrified that my teeth will all need to be extracted, but looking at horror images of teeth actually calms that fear, so I've been spending a lot of time doing that...

Until next time!

One week out. Anxiety is ebbing and flowing depending on the day. I can see that I have 4 cavities in my back molars for sure, but two of them are in my wisdom teeth anyway, which I’m sure need to come out. I’m worried about my front bottom teeth, I think there is some gum disease there, and definitely a lot of tartar. Hoping none have to be pulled.

My appointment is in two days. I have been feeling calmer lately but the anxiety is coming back. I’m so nervous that my teeth are ruined, that the dentist is going to judge me, that the expense is going to be enormous. I’m crossing my fingers for not a totally terrible appointment, but I also don’t want to get my hopes up too much. It has been over a decade after all. Ugh wanting to get it over with an also dreading it so much.

Good luck for your appointment today. The most people who see a dentist after a long time report needing much less treatment then they thought they would. Hope you have a kind caring dental team that knows how to put you at ease. All the best wishes and let us know how it went.:)

It got delayed a week because I was sick but I just went! All went well, only need to have two cavities filled with a couple others she wants to keep an eye on. Wisdom teeth will need to be pulled and then I will be all up to snuff! So relieved!!!

Back