• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Top clearance and partial bottom clearance in January

D

Dave_england

Hi all. It's been a while since I last posted here but finally in January I while be having my top teeth removed along with my bottom teeth apart from my front 6 at the bottom.

I'll be under General anaesthetic at the local hospital to have this done and have been told that all will be stitched to aid with the healing whilst I wait a few weeks before having my moulds for a complete upper denture and partial bottom.

Main reason I'm posting this is to find others who have undergone similar as I've stupidly read some horror stories online about the surgery that have got me slightly concerned and apprehensive about it.

Cheers and I look forward to your replies and success stories of those who have undergone similar :)

Hi Dave,

no experience myself, but may I ask you what exactly scares you about the procedure?

All the best wishes

Hi,I've had full extractions under G.A at a hospital it was 5yrs ago tho is there anything in particular you want to know? Can't comment on the denture part as that's not the route I'm going down.

I had all of my uppers extracted last year and have an old-fashioned denture. I have a partial on the bottom, but that one is supported by a couple of implants. I was completely without my teeth, except for a few on the bottom, for about 9 months, so I spoke with my mouth mostly closed, so that (I hope), most people didn't notice. I had conscious sedation and had all of the top teeth removed at once. I had very little pain, that responded well to OTC pain-killers, and it only lasted a couple of days. Like Enarete above, I'd also know what, exactly, you're worried about.

Thank you all for the response and my apologies it's taken me a while to reply but now that Christmas is out the way I can respond.

I think the thing that worried me the most is the soreness I'll be in after when I wake up from the general anaesthetic as I'll be having stitches to aid healing.

I have been told I'll be prescribed painkillers and anti inflammatorys which will help a lot but if anyone else has any tips please do share as my op date is set for 16 days time.

Another thing that bothers me is the possibility of teeth shrapnel being left in and the possibility of bone shavings as I've read up on them.

I'm hoping that this'll be the one and only time I'll have to go through this so really want to avoid the possibility of needing further treatment surgery wise to a bare minimum.

In a weird way I'm looking forward to having that injection on the 16th and waking up on the right side of all this as it's been a very long process getting here and my biggest obstacle in life up to this point.

I'd had bone fragments with individual extractions over the years, but when I had all of my top teeth removed together, I had none. My guess is that because it was an oral surgeon who did the "bulk" extractions, and most of my singles were taken out by a general dentist, the former did a better job. I also had very little pain following the procedure, but only had stitches done in a few places. And I totally understand the feeling of wanting it over with and wanting to get on with a new life that allows you to smile and eat properly! Good luck!

Thank you for another great reply :) I'm more prepared by the day now for this and knowing the success stories I've read here I know I can and will do it.

I'm concentrating on the fact that as soon as the cannula is in its all over and I'll be on the recovery side and moving away from the place I've been stuck for years dental wise

Question for anyone that has had teeth out and vapes.

I know smoking will be out of the question for a while so I'm wondering would a tobacco free vape juice be ok? That'll be a juice that's zero nicotine etc

As long as you don't mind taking painkillers then you shouldn't have any pain (maybe slight discomfort),I'm not good at taking them so think I did without. Not gonna lie I found the stitches really annoying+they didn't start falling out till about 6wks after but if you've got distractions then you won't be constantly thinking about it like I was.

As long as you don't mind taking painkillers then you shouldn't have any pain (maybe slight discomfort),I'm not good at taking them so think I did without. Not gonna lie I found the stitches really annoying+they didn't start falling out till about 6wks after but if you've got distractions then you won't be constantly thinking about it like I was.
Thankfully I've always been good taking painkillers when needed so on the pain side it all looks Rosie:)

I'll have to keep myself occupied on the stitches front then by the sounds of it. Thank you for the great reply:)

Nerves are starting to creep in now it's just over a week away but I know that this is going to be something I'll look back on after and wonder what I was so worried about.

No more hiding my smile and no more terrible tooth pain, infections is going to be a blessing and when all added up the positives of having this done beat the negatives hands down.

Absolutely correct. I am so glad that I finally worked up the courage to do it. It wasn't easy to learn how to eat again, but I did and since I'm sure that you're much younger than me (61), you'll probably do it faster! I eat everything that I hadn't done in years, and even the foods that I thought would be impossible (like a BLT!).

Thankyou for the great reply:)

Absolutely correct. I am so glad that I finally worked up the courage to do it. It wasn't easy to learn how to eat again, but I did and since I'm sure that you're much younger than me (61),you'll probably do it faster! I eat everything that I hadn't done in years, and even the foods that I thought would be impossible (like a BLT!).
Must be so nice to eat anything+everything,can't remember the last time I ate something properly. :(

It really is, but it's even nicer to be able to speak and smile without doing so with my mouth almost fully shut, so that others couldn't see the poor state of my teeth.

It really is, but it's even nicer to be able to speak and smile without doing so with my mouth almost fully shut, so that others couldn't see the poor state of my teeth.
yes that aswell,maybe 1 day.

This time next week I'll be on the other side of my bad teeth :) scary thought but also a positive one.

Had a few questions I wanted some answers to so rang the oral surgery unit yesterday and after speaking to the ward sister I've found out that I'll have a side room due to my severe social anxiety and have been placed top of the list for the mornings surgery to minimize the waiting time for me as much as possible.

I should be down before 10am which would be fantastic

Had a few questions I wanted some answers to so rang the oral surgery unit yesterday and after speaking to the ward sister I've found out that I'll have a side room due to my severe social anxiety and have been placed top of the list for the mornings surgery to minimize the waiting time for me as much as possible.

I should be down before 10am which would be fantastic
That is wonderful that they are so supportive of you! I wish the best for you next week!

Back