• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Top Teeth

G

goz

Hi I have had all my lower back teeth out so really hoping that I won't be seeing a Dentist any time soon .....every one of the extractions turned into a dry socket ( not pleasent but you do get over them )
Well what I wanted to know was do I stand the same chance of a dry socket happening if I had an extraction from the top

My understanding is dry socket is very, very rare on top. As you seem prone to them, make sure whoever is doing the extractions is aware, there are some preventative things they can do.
best wishes

rp

Thanks for the reply .....but could you tell me more about the prevenative things a dentist could do, because every time i mentioned to the dentist about the dry socket problem I have had (and this as been 2 different Dentist ) they just tell me dry sockets are very rare :rolleyes: ok but maybe i'm the exception but I might as well talk to the chair I'm sitting in for all the notice they take .....my fear is not the dry socket believe it or not :) it's the dreaded antibiotics they make me so ill I try even if prescribed them not to take them I know thats crazy but seriously thats how awful they serve me

My I'm not a dentist answer- technique is important -the less traumatic the less likely, I think upper teeth come out easier as the bone is not as dense, an antibiotic dressing, suturing, collagen plug and of course following all of those post extraction instructions. .

Hey
A very common reason for a dry socket is that the patient is spitting after the treatment and thus stops the healing process.
right after the extraction a blood clot is formed in the socket (where the tooth's roots were). This blood clot needs to be stable for several days (at least 48 hours). spitting causes the clot to leave the socket. There are other reasons for interfering with the clot like smoking, hard chewing, extreme hot drinking, but spitting is the most common.:censored:

Last edited:
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question

Back