• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Traditional pediatric dentist or new laser dentist?

I

Iheartmy2kids

Since we have had bad traumatic experiences with a pediatric dentist and my son's worst fear is the drill I am considering a dentist who uses the Waterlase, laser.

Which would you choose?

1) Problem is the laser dentist says I am not allowed to sit besides my child but can only be behind him at the doorway. I know my child will be much more cooperative with me sitting beside him holding his hand. From past experience we know this for a fact. No oral sedation only topical anesthetic since laser is supposed to be not painful. I don't know how my child will react if I am not sitting with him.

2) On the other hand since the pediatric dentist knows my child will do much better with me sitting beside him she wants me to sit with him during treatment. BUT she uses the dreadful drill which my son hates!!! Oral sedation, Versed will be given. (he had a bad experience his last appt still on Versed).

Worst part of all this is my 5yr old son needs treatment and so does my 3yr old daughter. My 5yr old son has had bad experiences already at the dentist and my 3yr old daughter hasn't had bad experience but I know she will not be able to handle any treatment at all even on meds. They want to give her Atarax.

So what would you do? Go through the pain and torture at the pediatric dentist on oral sedation (although last time was not effective). OR try the laser dentist and not know how my children will deal.

By the way, I am not willing to put my children under general anesthesia. It's too much risk for me.

See my other reply fwiw.

Back