• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

traditional perio surgery regret and now what

K

katebirch1

I dont think much can be done for me. Just venting and seeing if anyone else here has any similar situations to compare. I am 46. 13 years ago I got bad perio disease and ended up not researching well- which is nuts cause now I research EVERYTHING- and I went to a horrid periodontist who did traditional flap surgery on my and cut away ore bone and gum and left me basically disfigured. I then researched, had gum grafts and ortho and a bonded splint retainer put on and have been ok for the last 12 years. I recently had my bonded retainer off ( long story but I cant do metal- allergies)- so I had a "ribbond" on- broke after 3 years, had it replaced ( had metal for 4 years prior) then got a second one broke after 3 years- when it was taken off a month ago found 3 cavities under it-- had new one put on, felt so tight. I have breathing and sinus issues and I found they felt better some without the bonded retainer and one of my doctors told me the boded retainer actually compresses the cranial bones and keeps the cerebral fluid from flowing properly
So for a few weeks now I have a removeable essix- but my teeth feel loose-ish I have like 60-70% bone loss so I am just so unsire what to do.
Looking at maybe the milled bonded retainer form nimrodental- anyone use this?
looking at maybe lanap surgery to try to regenrate bone but probably not work in my case
trying to save my teeth
so depressed

Katebirth,

Although I don't have any advice I wanted to say, you certainly have been through so much and sorry to hear all you have been through, the fact you are still plugging along and considering options just shows all your resiliance and strength regardless of hard circumstances you face. You mentioned you had a horrid periodontist.. Do you have someone now you are considering that may be more anxious friendly and empathetic to all you've been through?

thank you! yes the horrid perio was 13 years ago and he had said he would be oding bone grafts but didnt and the whole thing was such a mess. After that I started researching and found the best periodontist- traveled all the way across the country ( I am in usa) to him twice for gum grafts which helped a little aesthetically- but even he, top of his field, said there was no bone graft or bone regeneration options for me :( So now just trying to keep what I have or get more bone. Ive been ok for the last 12 years but had this bonded retainer/splint. the issue is I got it off recently and now the teeth feel way more vulnerable. But I have been having breathing and sinus issues- especially breathing- for years- and the bonded splint was contributing to this tightness in my throat and nose and all these things- I am sensitive and it was kind of squeezing the whole area ----- so I feel relief with it out for right now-- but the teeth feel vulnerable. I am going to a new periosdontist locally next week and may try to see if any orthodontist can intrude the teeth into the bone. but I think I may have to get them splinted again just to keep stability but I hate the splint for the health and comfort reasons so yeah just plugging along. I have been getting cleanings 4 times a year and have no active perio disease no pcokets or swelling or bleeding. Just a lot of bone loss and weakness. When the teeth were splinted it made them stronger as it secures the weaker ones and spreads the weight. But literally the last splint I had on gave me a sinus infection that went away as son as I got it off. so I would prefer to do the essix retainer at night but I really want new bone! I am exploring the LANAP laser because it gives some people bone regenration but it may not work in my case. Also seeing if an orthos can pull the teeth farther up into whats left of the bone. I do SO much research now and just regret so much that I let the brutal perios do those horrible surgeries on me when I was younger- I wish I had been more careful. I want even that young I was 33- and I was pretty savy and smart so I dont know how i let that happen. its really extreme.

Hi katebirch1,

sorry to read about your situation. I think trusting a dental care professional is normal and that's what professionals are here for. In most cases it works. Who could have known how things end for you. I can see the huge amount of regret you are keeping at what happened 13 years ago, but sadly, we cannot change the past. You mentioned that you have been ok for the last twelve years until the splint got off so it sounds like the removal of the splint is what made all this regret and fears come up.
What you got done sounds like a complex dental stuff to me and I do not get the details well, but I got you are worried about losing your teeth now after the splint is off and looking for options how to make them more stable and get some bone. Glad you are having an appointment next week and will keep my fingers tightly crossed for you to find some options.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

thank you for you kind support!

Back