• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Triazolam and NO2

G

Former Member
I am having two wisdom teeth removed this week; they are both below the skin and laying horizontal. I am very worried, and my dentist prescribed me with Triazolam (0.125mg) tablets.

I am to take one the night before, and two an hour before the appointment. He said that on the triazolam, I can't have nitrous oxide. I have been looking around online... it seems that triazolam is usually used along with NO2, and 0.25 seems like a small dosage. I am terrified, will the triazolam be enough?

Also, the pharmacy gave me 5 tablets. I tried taking one tablet... it didn't make me drowsy, but rather, gave me a headache. Will taking two really make a difference?

Triazolam is usually OK with nitrous oxide (err it's N2O if you want to be an anorak about it) did you ask your dentist what the problem was in this case?

I'm not familiar with the dosages of Triazolam, it's not sold in the UK, so I can't help you much with your other question. Sorry.

The usual dose of Triazolam (Halcion) for a healthy adult is 0.25 - 0.5 mg one hour before the appointment. In this case, 2x0.125 = 0.25mg. This would be at the lower end of the recommended dose, but not unusual.
I can't see either why N2O can't be used - as Gordon said, you may want to ask your dentist why it's not possible in your case :confused:

Dr Fred Quarnstrom is one of the leading experts on Halcion sedation as well as the author of many publications on N2O sedation. Have a poke about on his website at the University of Washington. There are some interesting things there.

Thank you all for the replies. I tried to call to talk with the dentist, but he was not there. The girl on the phone told me to just print and bring in the page I am talking about on the day of my appointment (wonderful, so I'll be doped up and trying to discuss this).

The site Gordon linked is nice, but it mentions that the dosage should be ".25mg + .125mg for every 70 pound weight incriment over 40 pounds" I weigh just over 110. My dentist sucks. I'm starting to think that he wants me to hurt. :(

That would make the recommended dose .375 mg. I might try and catch him again, sounds like the receptionist is trying to fob you off :(. Warning: some dentists don't react too well when you try and tell them you found some info on the internet (even if, like in this case, it comes from a pretty authoritative voice). I might not mention it unless necessary, just say you tried one tablet, it didn't have any effect, and you're worried you might need more than two, and would it be possible to take .375 mg instead.

Just thought I would update everyone here. I called my dentist before my appointment and was told to only take .25mg, and to bring the bottle in case he wanted to give me more. He wouldn't let me have more, even though I didn't feel the medication at all.

When I started to cry (I am such a wimp, I made it through the shots but got upset as soon as he was going to start) he gave me N2O, which made things all better. I got an amazingly large amount of novicane (I think that is what he used) because I kept feeling pain in random spots.

Overall, it went fine. One tooth had to be broken up though, but it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I wish my pain meds would actually work though!

Thanks for all the advice :)

It's a bit too late for you now, but the best time to take pain meds is BEFORE things start to hurt, it's much easier to prevent pain than to treat it.

Congratulations on going through with it all though, you should be very proud of yourself, you were scared to do this, but despite that you hung in there and got it done. Have a cyber-hug from me :thumbsup: