• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

tried taking my daughter to her first dentist apt today

Z

zombiegroupie

my daughter is 26 months old. i took her to a family dentist (who is in practice with my new dentist) and she was ok with the idea but refused to let her polish.

the whole thing stressed me out quite a bit. i had more fillings yesterday and it was a rough day for me :( i'm exhausted of dental crap and i'm not done yet

I bet it did! But GOOD JOB, Mom, getting your daughter's appointment done in the midst of all YOUR trauma!! No small thing, for sure. As for the polish...no big deal!!! At 26 months for her to open up and let them even look or touch with a finger is HUGE! Keep it simple and easy for her just as you're doing. I know you're sick of this all...but you're making steps on your way OUT of this...one tooth at a time. Slow and steady wins the race. Hang in there. Did you treat yourself to something after the appt?

At this age the goal is introduction to dental environment in a pleasant way and not you need to get anything done mentality. Make sure that the dentist is comfortable with kids and not just "the good ones".
Another very important goal at this age is the education of the parents as to diet and hygiene as caries is preventable.

thanks for the replies ;)

the dentist was very kind and patient and made no big deal of it. told me to bring her back around Xmas and try again.

i do as well as i can with the diet and the brushing at home. 2 year olds are so stubborn :(

That's so good. The last thing you want is someone to force anything on her (or you).

I took my daughter for the first time when she was 3 almost 4. Found a pediatric dentist that made it so fun she LOVED going and they didn't try to polish or anything at that appointment or the next two...if I remember correctly. Just looked inside and may have used a little tooth brush brush...not anything major. It really is a great practice for kids and I've been VERY happy as she doesn't have any kind of phobia about it at all or cavities (yet). She just turned 16 and I still take her there. Well, actually her dad does. I wish you the same luck I've had in that department...you deserve a break!

Back