• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trouble with permanent crown

W

Wendy

Dentist suggested I needed a crown on back molar due to having a large old filling in that tooth. Had no problems with the tooth while I had the temporary crown on. Since the permanent crown I have had horrible pain to hot and cold (even room temperature) I can not put any pressure on the back part of crown. It hurts all the time. I can not chew on that side at all. It has been 2 weeks since the perm. crown was cemented on. I have been back in three times to have the bite worked down. No change. I am very frustred and wish I would have never got the crown. They say a root canal would be the next step but they see no evidence of my needing one. Anyone have ideas why I can't chew on it and why it hurts and so sensative? I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I haven't got an answer for you but I just wanted to welcome you to the forum. So :welcome:

Could you see another dentist and get a second opinion on the condition of the tooth. If you post this in the dentistry questions it might get answered by a dentist quicker.

I hope you find the answer to your problem soon :)

This is always a frustrating problem for us dentists. If the crown fits well and the bite is good and the pain persists then sounds like RCT.
Also possible that without the crown the tooth could have fractured off and would have needed to be extracted.
You never know.

HI! I'm experiencing the same issue, or a similar issue. I've been unable to chew on my left side after a filling done by a student dentist back in June. I was able to chew & had no pain in that tooth before I had the cavity "fixed". I've had this tooth refilled 2 more times. Never any sign of infection until 2 weeks ago after the last time they refilled it. NOW I'm having pain all the time & they THINK they see an infection starting at the very bottom tip of the root. But they aren't sure. Now they want to do a root canal & crown. & I dont want them to do that. So I've very curious to see how you're situation ended up!? I hope you see this message as I know your original post was quite a while ago. Thank you so much for any info you can give me!

Back