• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Trustworthy Dentists

S

soconcerned

Is it just me? Am I the only one who can never find a dentist they can trust? I had a dentist I thought I trusted for years but found out about shotty work, things done wrong, not knowing simple things like why not to brush too hard, and then suggesting such aggressive treatments that weren't necessary. I have been out trying to find dentists I can trust. I have done research on every one! I finally get myself into the dentist chair and just decide to trust. Then I end up with shotty work again that may need fixing. This has happened 2 times after my first dentist I trusted. I just wanted to cry about this. My faith is gone right now. I feel out of control, stressed and depressed at what has happened with the work that has been done that needs fixing with no money or even knowing if fixing it is the best thing to do :cry:

Is it just me? Am I the only one who can never find a dentist they can trust? I had a dentist I thought I trusted for years but found out about shotty work, things done wrong, not knowing simple things like why not to brush too hard, and then suggesting such aggressive treatments that weren't necessary. I have been out trying to find dentists I can trust. I have done research on every one! I finally get myself into the dentist chair and just decide to trust. Then I end up with shotty work again that may need fixing. This has happened 2 times after my first dentist I trusted. I just wanted to cry about this. My faith is gone right now. I feel out of control, stressed and depressed at what has happened with the work that has been done that needs fixing with no money or even knowing if fixing it is the best thing to do :cry:
I hate to agree but I see it more and more and more. In the states there are too many dentists so treatment plans become aggressive to fill in their time. I saw a patient last week from a local "sedation" dentist with a 14,000+ treatment plan as he had rampant caries. I recommended treating just about the same range of teeth but recommended a much more conservative plan of about 4,000 while we focus on changing diet and hygiene then in the next 4-7 years some of the crowns can be done when the conditions will allow for the crowns to have a long life. NO mention of fluoride or diet at the other office!

Hi soconcerned -

I totally get this! Trust is probably the single biggest issue for me, you're definitely not alone :XXLhug:

Like you, I saw one for years that I trusted, and only later found out that quite a lot of the things he told me were lies. I know how hard it is to take that leap and trust a new dentist after you've been let down like that; it feels like closing your eyes and jumping off a cliff doesn't it?

Things I have learned that you might find helpful:

- Trustworthy dentists are out there, they really do exist. And when you find one, it's wonderful. I know it's hard and I know it's frightening, but please don't give up.

- The really good ones will understand that your trust is something they need to earn. They won't expect you to trust them straight away, but will take time to build up trust with you.

- As far as I can tell, the best way to find these trustworthy dentists is to ask around, get recommendations, have a look for reviews on here - and then when you find one you think might be right for you, "audition" them! Go and see them if you feel up to it, talk to them, explain your concerns and what it is that has broken your trust before and see how they respond. Look for one that wants to work with you to solve the problem.

- Use your instincts - you sound like you've learned a lot and will be able to spot a wrong 'un from a mile off! - but remember that you will probably struggle a bit to make that leap and trust anyone at the moment, even the good ones, so your instincts may be telling you to run away when you don't need to. So use your instincts but know that they're probably on high alert.

- Eventually there will come a time where you need to take that leap and put yourself in somebody's hands. Choose wisely, take your time, audition them and let them earn​ the right to be that somebody. Then they can help you.

- Trust is a process, it's not a black & white thing. Once you have found the right dentist, over time you can gradually build up trust without having to surrender your sense of control.

I hope some of that helps!

Your not along. I'm really having second thoughts about the guy I choose. He used the "periodontal disease" scare tactic on mom and thanks to that, I was unable to check out other options since I was forced into a deep cleaning. You know what I discovered recently? Not only did I discover that the p.d. "diagnosis" is actually something thats not always a legit case and sometimes be nothing more then a money making scam, but when I began researching the symptoms that are associated with it, I realized that I had none of them! a regular being needed? Yes. A deep cleaning? I have my doubts.

And I think im actually worse off then b4 I started this journey! Sure the teeth that had to be extracted were in bad shape but at least I could eat with no problems. Now I have an upper partial that the left wire is acting up and the whole thing is starting the rocking game, I keep getting food stuck under my lower if I eat with it in, and I've got a filling giving me cold sensitivity problems. I've lost track of the number of visits for the things(I think its standing at a total of at least 10 trips for adjustments) and have pretty much giving up at this point. Still debating on the "six month" cleaning which I learned is nothing but advice fabricated for a toothpaste commercial and is now a one size fit all tatic even though some people could go once a year with no problems or even less often!

I want to go elsewhere to get a second opinion but mom begins ranting about how we'd have to start paying for visits elsewhere and now most places won't deal with another places work. Not worth wasting my breath trying to win that argument.

Am currently wearing the partials just enough to keep mom off my case of "if you doing wear the partials, your teeth could shift" and only have worn them a couple times under my own will but both were the under reasons of I was heading out to meet up with a guy to trade Lego stuff. Next wear date under my own will will be nearly the same thing but it will either be a buy or a buy/trade since I will be paying for the stuff but I might be trading in some excess Lego tires I have.

Back