• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need help.

T

TheGeek

Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need help.

Long story short due to anxiety I have missed over 10 appointments to have this extraction done. I have 2 upper wisdom teeth that are rotten to the core. I have holes where the tooth used to be.

3 months ago I developed an infection and had to be put on antibiotics. The dentist offered to remove it there and then but I refused. My anxiety is so bad that I'd rather have bad breath, rotting teeth and risk infections.

Of course, that's no longer an option. If I don't get this sorted I will end up losing more teeth. The teeth next to both wisdom teeth are now starting to become affected. I have a hole formed in another tooth that isn't painful yet, but makes it difficult to eat due to food being caught on every bite. It feels like when you get a bit of food stuck between teeth, but more painful.

So Tuesday is the day. It has to be done. I just fear on the day I won't turn up.

My main fear is the numbing. I have an anxiety diagnosis that's so bad I am scared to leave the house most days. The anxiety causes everything from sweating, to PAC's and PVC's. The heartbeat issues that come with anxiety are nasty. I fear that I will lie in the chair and have to deal with the skipped heartbeats.

When I get these skips my usual response is to get out of the situation that causes me panic. The last time this happened at a dentist was whilst I was going numb. I ran out of the dentist and returned 10 minutes later after I broke down in hysterics.

The fear is real and the symptoms of anxiety are real.

The numbing scares me. Part of my anxiety is health anxiety. I have a fear that anything can kill me. I fear the numbing stuff will cause my heart to stop beating, or cause a reaction that could be fatal. You see, when they numb me any anxiety symptoms I will convince myself these are symptoms of the numbing medication which will cause a vicious cycle of anxiety.

How can I relax enough to have this done?

I am going to ask for Carbocaine as adrenaline is one of the things that cause problems for me. During anxiety adrenaline is released naturally and this causes horrible symptoms. I'd like to avoid those symptoms and if I cut out the ephedrine then at least I know the numbing medication is a "little" safer on my body. I may be completely wrong here, but from what I've read it seems like a safer option and one that my head can probably get used to.

I understand the numbing may not be as effective. But, I have dealt with mind numbing tooth ache of the past year where I've been curled up on the floor in agony. I think I can deal with that.

Any opinions?

Sedation isn't an option for me. I would rather do this without sedation.

I know to many reading this I sound like I'm over reacting, and that I should just suck it up, but that's an almost impossible thing to do.

The dentist did say he will give me a free clean, and deal with any fillings whilst I wait to go numb which was nice of him.

I'm bricking it to the point where I feel sick.

Also, with a wisdom tooth rotten to the core, can they not just cut my gum for easier extraction? I fear it will be an unpleasant extraction due to there being nothing to grab onto and pull.

On the plus side I look forward to having no nasty breath and constantly having to brush with TCP all day.

I look forward to replies. Thanks :)

Re: Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need h

Hi Geek, welcome! :)

OK, first of all, just wanted to say that I totally believe you and of course your anxiety is real. It is real, and it is a big deal. Nobody around here is going to doubt that or tell you to suck it up! Pretty much everybody here has experienced these sorts of feelings to some degree or another, you are amongst friends so there's no need to worry about being dismissed or not taken seriously!

Re how to relax enough to get it done: that's a difficult one to answer. What sort of things do you find work best for you when you have a big challenge to face? Do you have tried and trusted relaxation techniques that you turn to in an emergency? Do you have any anti-anxiety drugs that you can take for the appointment? (Or could you talk to your GP to get some? I'm not sure if drugs are something that you would consider or not.) Is there anybody treating you for anxiety who you could ask for advice?

To be honest I expect you are already something of an expert at dealing with anxiety, although I realise that doesn't make it any easier at all. I don't want to patronise you by suggesting the entry-level stuff like taking deep breaths or listening to music!

Longer term people can find therapies like CBT or hypnosis can be very effective for this type of anxiety, so that is something you might want to consider.

For what it's worth, I completely get that it feels like it when you are in the moment, but please be assured that you will *not* die from the numbing, or from the anxiety. You *will* survive and come out the other side of this. Hold on to that.

It may help you to know that it's actually very easy for a dentist to extract a tooth that has broken off all the way down to the gumline - they don't need anything to grab on to, as they don't actually pull! What they do is sort of 'rock' the tooth from side to side a few times to loosen it, then it just lifts out. Really! There's no tugging.

Also, yes, if the extraction does require them to cut your gum, then they can do that very easily too. It's really not a problem, they do this sort of thing all the time.

I've not had an extraction myself, but loads of people on here have (somebody will be along soon enough!) and everybody always says it's much faster and easier than expected. Very often the tooth can be out before you've even realised they've started!

So hopefully knowing that will help a bit.

Incidentally, I'm not sure brushing with TCP is a great idea, that seems like it would be pretty hard on your gums and it's not designed for use in your mouth. Maybe you could ask your dentist for advice re things like mouthwashes and the right toothpaste to combat things like bad breath and decay in your mouth that are kinder to your gums, there are plenty of products on the market. Even saltwater rinses can be very good for promoting healing in your mouth.

Hope something in there is helpful x

Tink

Re: Tuesday I have at least 1 wisdom extraction. Rotten to the core. I have sever anxiety and need h

Thank you for the response. You've eased my mind a lot! Just the fact you've said I will not die has calmed me a lot. That is my worst fear. The rest of the fear I can probably manage with. Once they numb me up and I can get comfortable I think I'll be ok. I may feel unpleasant, but I can deal with that.

Right now I'm just working myself up. But, that worry has decreased alot after reading your reply so thank you.

Regarding the TCP. I don't do this often, only when I feel that after eating the "holes" have food in them. I will usually brush with hot water in a diluted TCP solution. I've taken on board what you said and will start to use salt water instead and will discuss Tuesday with my dentist.

I would love to get over this fear as I have a lot of work that needs doing in terms of cosmetic treatment. If I could combat this fear I could finally work with my dentist to get them looking good. Something I've not had my entire life.

I no longer use anxiety meds because I've been on them for about 7 years. Long term I didn't feel this was the idea solution. My girlfriend has had lorazepam and valium in the past. I think her fear is actually worse than mine lol.

I'm trying to look on the bright side. No more bad breath. No more pain when eating. No more worry that I will get an infection, or having the sockets inflamed after eating.

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it :)

Ps. Is carbocaine a valid option and will numbing wear off quicker than the ephedrine numbing agent?

I'm glad I could be of some help :)

You sound very self-aware, good at finding the positives to aim for, and finding the resources in yourself that you need - I really think you can do this!

The nice thing about forums is that you can go back and re-read the reassuring stuff whenever you feel yourself starting to get worked up again. And you can always pop back in and get us to tell you again if you need to!

Longer term, it really is possible to get over this sort of fear, I've come a long way in that process myself. Do you have a dentist that you feel you can trust? What you've said about him so far sounds pretty positive - he should be able to work with you to slowly build up your confidence over time.

Can't answer your question about local anaesthetic (not a dentist), but you could try and post it in the "Your Dentistry Questions Answered" section of the forum and hopefully one of the dentists might answer. If not, your dentist should be able to tell you on the day - they generally keep all the drugs in stock so it's not a problem to have that conversation with them and decide on the day.

Hi Tink is right it is much easier to remove a root of a tooth than the full tooth. You will not die I can promise you that. I am not a dentist either but I have had teeth removed. They will make sure you are numb and as your dentist said they will do other work while you go numb.

Once they feel you are numbed and ready they will prepare the area then the next thing you know they are saying to you right it's gone. The last one I had out took seconds. They will ask you to bite on a piece of rolled gauze to help the clot form then you are told you can go. No pulling or tugging just maybe a bit of pressure, but you don't always feel this, then they lift it out. It is so quick and simple you will be amazed, it feels like magic and you just can't believe all the worry you have put yourself through for something so quick.

Your dentist sounds so nice and caring I don't think you have anything to worry about. You will feel like you are walking on air when it is done, it feels like a weight lifted off your shoulders like you say no pain, no fear of infections and no worry about bad breath.

When you are on your way and have got there think about us on here wiling you on and virtually holding your hand. Just keep saying to yourself 'I can do this' and think about the success story you are going to write on here for us all to read. You will be okay promise we will be here when you get back home waiting to hear how easy it was :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:

No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

So, I go in tomorrow to have 1 wisdom tooth removed. I need both, but I'm not having them done at the same time.

As we do, the fear is eating at me. I thought I had a grasp on it until I hit Google and came across articles that suggest removal of wisdom teeth is dangerous and can cause life threatening infections. I've read articles that suggest the month after wisdom tooth removal can increase heart attack and stroke risk significantly.

I generally don't listen to much on Google, except this sort of stuff is real from what I am reading.

I am going to post related in another forum so a dentist can answer, but this has just got me thinking that wisdom teeth extractions are not as safe as I thought.

Ps. Mine are upper wisdom teeth, both rotten to the core.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: No. No. No. No. No. No. No.

OK Geek, take a step back. Now breathe.

I think you know this already, but STEP AWAY FROM GOOGLE!! You are not doing yourself any favours! It's very, very easy to feed your anxiety and panic, and I know it's very tempting too.

Listen, wisdom tooth removal is safe. They do it for hundreds, probably thousands of people every day. If it wasn't safe, they wouldn't do it.

The thing is, *everything* comes with some small degree of risk - everything. Even just getting in the car. But the risks that are unfamiliar to us - even though those risks are no larger than the stuff we do every day - feel much worse precisely because they are strange and unfamiliar. That is why people find flying more frightening than driving to the airport, even though statistically it is a lot safer.

That's what you are experiencing here - fear of the unknown, and your anxiety magnifying the degree of risk out of all proportion. An anxious mind will go out of it's way to cherry-pick all the worst possible scenarios, magnifying the risks and playing down the positives. It's our threat detection mechanism going into overdrive.

It is safe. Really. You will be fine, the dentists know what they are doing, and you will survive this - even if it doesn't feel like it.

Remember, the fact they are rotten is not a problem for the dentist. The fact that they have broken off is not a problem for the dentist. You will be OK.

Hold on to that...and stop googling!! All you are achieving there is to torment yourself.

I went into a mad hysteria. It even caused an argument at home. No more Googling ... I promise.

Thank you for being there for me Tink, I really don't know what I'd do without anyone to kick me up the backside.

Hey, that's OK, I get how it is! Had one or two shouting matches with my husband of that sort myself! It's like a switch goes in your brain, isn't it?

Arse-kicking services available, any time ;-)

You're going to be OK!

Listen, it will probably happen again - anxiety is like that.

If it does, that's OK. Try to recognise what's happening, remember that it will pass, and while it's in progress, ride it out and don't trust your brain further than you could throw it... ;)

Listen, it will probably happen again - anxiety is like that.

If it does, that's OK. Try to recognise what's happening, remember that it will pass, and while it's in progress, ride it out and don't trust your brain further than you could throw it... ;)

I've implemented a new rule. Whenever I look at Google for related topics I must do 30 pressups and 30 pullups. That's 60 done so far.

Haha, that's a clever solution!

I don't have much to add to Tink's (infinitely useful) words, but I'll remind you that when you're reading scare stories on Google, you're seeing a disproportionately negative picture of things.

Think about it: all the hundreds of millions (at least!) people whose wisdom tooth extractions went without a hitch aren't very well posting about it on a forum, are they? :p When you Google things like this, you get the scare stories but not the uncountable everyday stories where it all went fine.

Wisdom tooth extractions are so common because we've gradually evolved to have smaller jaws. Wisdom teeth (once upon a time useful) are evolutionary throwbacks that are more annoying than anything else. This is why most people end up having them removed, and why the procedure to remove them is old-hat to every oral surgeon. They do it all day, every day! :p

Most of the people I know have had wisdom teeth out, and none of them had complications.

But I do like you're solution to exercise when you start Googling. :)

So, I go in tomorrow to have 1 wisdom tooth removed. I need both, but I'm not having them done at the same time.

As we do, the fear is eating at me. I thought I had a grasp on it until I hit Google and came across articles that suggest removal of wisdom teeth is dangerous and can cause life threatening infections. I've read articles that suggest the month after wisdom tooth removal can increase heart attack and stroke risk significantly.

I generally don't listen to much on Google, except this sort of stuff is real from what I am reading.

I am going to post related in another forum so a dentist can answer, but this has just got me thinking that wisdom teeth extractions are not as safe as I thought.

Ps. Mine are upper wisdom teeth, both rotten to the core.

Sorry but I had to move the link and paragraph that you put in as it is just too much for many on here. I am glad you have stepped away from Google try not to think about it, you will be fine. :grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug2::butterfly:

Sorry but I had to move the link and paragraph that you put in as it is just too much for many on here. I am glad you have stepped away from Google try not to think about it, you will be fine. :grouphug::grouphug::hug5::hug2::butterfly:

Good call. I forgot that anyone reading that will likely have the same reaction I did. Apologies :)

Hi it is fine. I did answer you in your other post, I hope you find the courage to go to your appointment. You will be fine and it will be extremely easy for them and they will make sure you are comfortable.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: don't google come on here we will be honest in a non scary way that will soothe your fears into submission ;):hug5::butterfly:

Hi it is fine. I did answer you in your other post, I hope you find the courage to go to your appointment. You will be fine and it will be extremely easy for them and they will make sure you are comfortable.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: don't google come on here we will be honest in a non scary way that will soothe your fears into submission ;):hug5::butterfly:

I have held back from Google. Doing well :) Tomorrow should be cool now that I've just got my favourite music on the iPad. I'll just turn it up full volume in my headphones and tell the dentist to tap me if he needs anything. I hope I can do that.

I felt I had to chime in here for ya

I have Anxiety and those lovely PACs and PVCs you speak of...They suck!! Nothing will make me run for the hills faster than my heart doing the funky chicken in my chest lol.

I did just successfully have 2 molars out. I was nervous and had the typical fast hear rate from being scared but no skips. I still use the local with epi in it, for me he other stuff just doesn't numb me properly (not saying it wont for you, just my experience) But I always tell my dentist to be extra careful when he injects, as long a blood vessel it not hit during injection the epi stays local, a good dentist will always aspirate and check for blood before injecting. I have never had an issue with it even though I am always nervous about using it. Hopefully as a fellow skipper that will set your mind at ease a little.

I'm getting two lower wisdoms taken out on the 19th. There is nothing left of one them at all. One of my molars was down to the gum line that I just had out and it took him like 30 seconds to get it out, so don't worry about that. Rotten teeth are easier to pull oddly.

I would think so, a lot of people take their ipad and they say it helps. Good luck :butterfly:

I felt I had to chime in here for ya

I have Anxiety and those lovely PACs and PVCs you speak of...They suck!! Nothing will make me run for the hills faster than my heart doing the funky chicken in my chest lol.

I did just successfully have 2 molars out. I was nervous and had the typical fast hear rate from being scared but no skips. I still use the local with epi in it, for me he other stuff just doesn't numb me properly (not saying it wont for you, just my experience) But I always tell my dentist to be extra careful when he injects, as long a blood vessel it not hit during injection the epi stays local, a good dentist will always aspirate and check for blood before injecting. I have never had an issue with it even though I am always nervous about using it. Hopefully as a fellow skipper that will set your mind at ease a little.

I'm getting two lower wisdoms taken out on the 19th. There is nothing left of one them at all. One of my molars was down to the gum line that I just had out and it took him like 30 seconds to get it out, so don't worry about that. Rotten teeth are easier to pull oddly.

I am so glad you chimed in! I thought I was alone with the skipping. I'm actually smiling that you've responded. The funky chicken in the chest is exactly what it is ha ha.

Good luck with the wisdom extractions :) I will let you know how it goes tomorrow. I'm pretty sure us anxiety sufferers like to make mountains out of mole hills.

I didn't know epi could remain local. I always assumed it will get into the blood either way. But, I trust your advice as you've been there.

I had a tooth out just over 10 years ago, and have been numbed a good few times in the past. But all I remember from those occasions are terrible anxiety. So it probably wasn't the ephedrines fault at all.

Many many thanks :)

Back