• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready to b

A

AnxiousAlice

Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready to b

My appointment for the #32 wisdom tooth extraction is Tuesday. I cannot talk to my dentist before then because it is Saturday night and Monday is a holiday and I am supposed to take Halcion before I leave the house Tuesday morning. So Tuesday morning would not be a good time for me to make decisions under any kind of sedation.

My #32 wisdom tooth is scheduled to be extracted under Oral Halcion (two 0.25 mg pills one before leaving the house and one in the office.sedation plus the Articane injection.

I am also supposed to have cadaver bone graft material put in the extraction hole.

Questions PLEASE!

1. The tooth and jaw hurts which I believe must be from the abscess. I have been on antibiotics for a week.

2. Can the tooth pain be from the infection or can it be because the nerve is sensitive because there is a large cavity on the side.

3. If the tooth is abscessed can the bone grafting be a problem putting graft material over infected bone. (The xray shows the shaded "abscess" area below the root) ? Can the bone grafting cause more problems potentially than just an extraction.

4. Is it possible to reject he bone grafting?

5. What about healing time???? I am reading that bone grafting can take four months whereas a wisdom tooth extraction can have me feeling functional and ok to work after a couple of days.

Ok maybe I am obsessing but I cannot be in pain, infection, or anything where I could lose my job and unable to work.

Should I cancel and wait? I really want to get this over with but I don't want more problems with a lengthy recovery or additional procedures and pain and down time.

I am not having a good weekend. I am having problems with functioning properly from my sheer panic and just don't know what to do.

If the bone grafting lessens the chance of dry socket or healing time it will be worth every penny. But if it causes infections, further procedures and slower healing time then what is the point.

My concern is getting back to my work and feeling well. I cannot afford to be sick. My business and my work is my livelihood and my identity.

Has anyone had bone grafting after and extraction and if so, results and recovery time versus not having it?

Dentists what is the success rate of this procedure regarding grafting over an infected extracted tooth?

Should I have opted for an oral surgeon. I am weary of hunting for the right dentist and the right choices and I am just completely worn out!

Please help. I am sorry for all the questions but just don't know what to do or where to turn.

Alice :cry:

Re: Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready

Alice, I am not a dentist, and so can't answer your questions unfortunately, and I have done a bit of a 'Google' regarding cadaver bone grafting, but there are so many different sites with so much information, that I would hate to confuse you any more.

I am sure you will get an answer soon regarding all of your concerns, and in the meantime, please try not to stress too much - think nice thoughts, and I will be sending some positive vibes across the pond to you.

Take care sweety, all will be fine :hug5::hug5::hug5::hug5:

My appointment for the #32 wisdom tooth extraction is Tuesday. I cannot talk to my dentist before then because it is Saturday night and Monday is a holiday and I am supposed to take Halcion before I leave the house Tuesday morning. So Tuesday morning would not be a good time for me to make decisions under any kind of sedation.

My #32 wisdom tooth is scheduled to be extracted under Oral Halcion (two 0.25 mg pills one before leaving the house and one in the office.sedation plus the Articane injection.

I am also supposed to have cadaver bone graft material put in the extraction hole.

Questions PLEASE!

1. The tooth and jaw hurts which I believe must be from the abscess. I have been on antibiotics for a week.

2. Can the tooth pain be from the infection or can it be because the nerve is sensitive because there is a large cavity on the side.

3. If the tooth is abscessed can the bone grafting be a problem putting graft material over infected bone. (The xray shows the shaded "abscess" area below the root) ? Can the bone grafting cause more problems potentially than just an extraction.

4. Is it possible to reject he bone grafting?

5. What about healing time???? I am reading that bone grafting can take four months whereas a wisdom tooth extraction can have me feeling functional and ok to work after a couple of days.

Ok maybe I am obsessing but I cannot be in pain, infection, or anything where I could lose my job and unable to work.

Should I cancel and wait? I really want to get this over with but I don't want more problems with a lengthy recovery or additional procedures and pain and down time.

I am not having a good weekend. I am having problems with functioning properly from my sheer panic and just don't know what to do.

If the bone grafting lessens the chance of dry socket or healing time it will be worth every penny. But if it causes infections, further procedures and slower healing time then what is the point.

My concern is getting back to my work and feeling well. I cannot afford to be sick. My business and my work is my livelihood and my identity.

Has anyone had bone grafting after and extraction and if so, results and recovery time versus not having it?

Dentists what is the success rate of this procedure regarding grafting over an infected extracted tooth?

Should I have opted for an oral surgeon. I am weary of hunting for the right dentist and the right choices and I am just completely worn out!

Please help. I am sorry for all the questions but just don't know what to do or where to turn.

Alice :cry:

Re: Tuesday is the Day for the Extraction Please can I have another question answered. Almost ready

Hi there,

I am also supposed to have a filling on Tuesday, scared of the 'shot'. Anyway, what time are you having your treatment, I want to know so I can pray for you and pray that it all goes well for you. We can support each other and it puts me at rest knowing somebody is going through the same trauma as me on the same day.

My appointment is for 3:30pm. Anyway, please reply, and I hope yours goes to plan!

Hi there,

I am also supposed to have a filling on Tuesday, scared of the 'shot'. Anyway, what time are you having your treatment, I want to know so I can pray for you and pray that it all goes well for you. We can support each other and it puts me at rest knowing somebody is going through the same trauma as me on the same day.

My appointment is for 3:30pm. Anyway, please reply, and I hope yours goes to plan!

Hi Tom my appointment is at 8:00 a.m. and I will definitely pray for you and very much appreciate your thoughts and prayers as well.

I have numerous fillings in the past and I can put your mind to rest that they are pretty routine. Your gum will be numb first and then a shot which you may not feel at all or to the most likely a prick like getting blood drawn. When the filling is complete there will be no bleeding and likely no pain after the numbness has worn off. Are you doing sedation?

My procedure is a wisdom tooth extraction which is usually done on young people my gran children's age, and some bone grafting. I will be under oral sedation. I have some issues like easy sedation, and vertigo. But my main concern is healing and being able to function pain and infection free within a few days after the procedure. /The though of bone grafting being a foreign substance, plus the medications are very unnerving to me.

I am very much a organic foods, health food and supplement person, no alcohol, cafeen, sugar etc: Not to mention I have never had any medical procedures done, ever so without a frame of reference and added to the fact that I have panic disorder, I am a nervous wreck.

So off to church to a blessing and some prayer. And hoping this time next week I will be completely pain free and working and living my life again without thinking about this tooth.

All my best to you. Let's keep in touch.

Alice

Ah, so you've had a filling before, you also said yours is at 8:00am but what time zone? I am super anxious to having this but knowing this time next week, I will be a-ok if I just have these few seconds of pain! How many fillings have you had?

Hi Alice,

The oral sedation is a really good idea as it will reduce your apprehension.

I must say I am a little surprised that you are having anything grafted into a wisdom tooth socket. Normally, the only reason for doing this is to preserve the socket for an implant and no one puts implants in the wisdom tooth area!

It might be your dentist believes that this will reduce the incident of dry socket but I have heard of this before. If it were me, I would not have anything in the socket unless there was a really good reason.

Unfortunately, me saying this is not helping reduce your worries!!! - Sorry :redface:

I think you need to discuss this with the dentist concerned. It might be tricky if you have already taken some sedative so leave this to who ever is accompanying you or don't take the at home dose but show up at the dentist an hour early (if they are around) and discuss it an then take the sedative.

Good luck

Lincoln

Ah, so you've had a filling before, you also said yours is at 8:00am but what time zone? I am super anxious to having this but knowing this time next week, I will be a-ok if I just have these few seconds of pain! How many fillings have you had?

Hi Tom,

I am in Florida USA eastern time zone and so I think you are about 5 hours ahead of me which means out appoint actual times are similar.

I have had numerous fillings back in the day when any kind of sedation other than local shots were even heard of and all turned out fine and when numbness wore off in a few hours I was good as new. Then about 15 years ago I had all the amalgam (metal) fillings removed and replaced with white composite fillings. Still no problems although never enjoyed going to the dentist.

In fact the wisdom tooth that I am having extracted Tuesday has a large composite filling in it and it lasted about 15 years. A large cavity has since formed on the outer gum line and it's abscessed so it now has to come out.

Three years ago I had a root canal on an abscessed tooth and it was very painful and the dentist was not very gentle and from there I developed a severe dental phobia. Not to mention in the past several years I developed generalized panic disorder and positional vertigo which compounds my anxieties.

Tom if this is a regular filling, no root canal, no extraction, there is really no heal time other than the numbness wearing off so you will be fine. I will have you in my thoughts that this will be a positive experience and your anxieties about dentists will be relieved.

Stay in touch.

Alice

Hi Alice,

The oral sedation is a really good idea as it will reduce your apprehension.

I must say I am a little surprised that you are having anything grafted into a wisdom tooth socket. Normally, the only reason for doing this is to preserve the socket for an implant and no one puts implants in the wisdom tooth area!

It might be your dentist believes that this will reduce the incident of dry socket but I have heard of this before. If it were me, I would not have anything in the socket unless there was a really good reason.

Unfortunately, me saying this is not helping reduce your worries!!! - Sorry :redface:

I think you need to discuss this with the dentist concerned. It might be tricky if you have already taken some sedative so leave this to who ever is accompanying you or don't take the at home dose but show up at the dentist an hour early (if they are around) and discuss it an then take the sedative.

Good luck

Lincoln

Hi Lincoln,

Originally I had inquired since slower healing or dry socket can literally put me out of business. I'm an event planner and 10 days after this extraction I am hosting the largest event to day which will ultimate help me get most of my needed dental work done. I fail at this it could make me lose business into next year which would be a financial disaster for me.

So my thinking (and my dentist also agreed), that bone grafting with a membrane and sutures could close up the socket area and promote faster healing.

The other reason, is that tooth number 32 is quite large. It is fully erupted and will likely leave a sizable hold. Also the tooth although leaning slightly forward also grew in somewhat forward since when I was a teenager (before the wisdom tooth erupted) I had had both the first and second molar in front of that tooth extracted. So essentially my entire adult life (I am now 64), that wisdom tooth has been serving as a molar and was even filled about 15 years ago.

I have not decided as yet, but my dentist has discussed that it is possible to do an implant closer to the front of where that tooth is now, or an implant and some bridgework (crowning) the small molar in front of the already missing teeth. Another option is a partial. Since there is bone loss from the two extracted teeth in front of the wisdom teeth that area may not support implants???

So the plan for Tuesday is extract #32, and then fill in the socket with bone graft, membrane over the top with sutures.

But after reading my concern is the tooth still hurts. If it is infected can covering the socket with grafting cause more problems? Also will there be a problem with numbing a tooth that has a tooth ache?

I want to get rid of the tooth ache and recover quickly and of course I have played out so many things in my mind that can go wrong that my anxiety is escalating and making it hurt more and making me fee ill.

Maybe I am thinking too much but I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks for your response.

Alice

Hi Lincoln,

Originally I had inquired since slower healing or dry socket can literally put me out of business. I'm an event planner and 10 days after this extraction I am hosting the largest event to day which will ultimate help me get most of my needed dental work done. I fail at this it could make me lose business into next year which would be a financial disaster for me.

So my thinking (and my dentist also agreed), that bone grafting with a membrane and sutures could close up the socket area and promote faster healing.

The other reason, is that tooth number 32 is quite large. It is fully erupted and will likely leave a sizable hold. Also the tooth although leaning slightly forward also grew in somewhat forward since when I was a teenager (before the wisdom tooth erupted) I had had both the first and second molar in front of that tooth extracted. So essentially my entire adult life (I am now 64), that wisdom tooth has been serving as a molar and was even filled about 15 years ago.

I have not decided as yet, but my dentist has discussed that it is possible to do an implant closer to the front of where that tooth is now, or an implant and some bridgework (crowning) the small molar in front of the already missing teeth. Another option is a partial. Since there is bone loss from the two extracted teeth in front of the wisdom teeth that area may not support implants???

So the plan for Tuesday is extract #32, and then fill in the socket with bone graft, membrane over the top with sutures.

But after reading my concern is the tooth still hurts. If it is infected can covering the socket with grafting cause more problems? Also will there be a problem with numbing a tooth that has a tooth ache?

I want to get rid of the tooth ache and recover quickly and of course I have played out so many things in my mind that can go wrong that my anxiety is escalating and making it hurt more and making me fee ill.

Maybe I am thinking too much but I'm a nervous wreck.

Thanks for your response.

Alice

Dry socket is just something that MIGHT happen. Most of the time it doesnt. Cant really dwell on it to much. Even if for some reason you did end up getting one, by the 10th day after extraction, you should be pretty fine.

You will probably get antibiotics also, so I wouldnt worry about infection. Even so, by the 10th day you should be fine lol.

I am not a dentist by any means but sometimes you just have to let things happen and see how it goes. The more you stress, the more likely you make something happen. Your going to do very well and everything is going to work out. Just think of how great it is going to feel when you finally feel no pain.

Lastly, Some people have a hard time getting numb when they have a toothahce. Personally for me, when my tooth was infected and in horrible pain, when I went in for a root canal, the numbing made me feel so happy and good for the first time in days. I had no problem getting numb.

Truth is, thinking so much actually makes your tooth hurt more. For me when I am doing things, my tooth feels fine, but when I sit on my computer and look up what can happen, it hurts me.

Try and relax and look forward to your event :jump:

Cool

Hi Tom,

I am in Florida USA eastern time zone and so I think you are about 5 hours ahead of me which means out appoint actual times are similar.

I have had numerous fillings back in the day when any kind of sedation other than local shots were even heard of and all turned out fine and when numbness wore off in a few hours I was good as new. Then about 15 years ago I had all the amalgam (metal) fillings removed and replaced with white composite fillings. Still no problems although never enjoyed going to the dentist.

In fact the wisdom tooth that I am having extracted Tuesday has a large composite filling in it and it lasted about 15 years. A large cavity has since formed on the outer gum line and it's abscessed so it now has to come out.

Three years ago I had a root canal on an abscessed tooth and it was very painful and the dentist was not very gentle and from there I developed a severe dental phobia. Not to mention in the past several years I developed generalized panic disorder and positional vertigo which compounds my anxieties.

Tom if this is a regular filling, no root canal, no extraction, there is really no heal time other than the numbness wearing off so you will be fine. I will have you in my thoughts that this will be a positive experience and your anxieties about dentists will be relieved.

Stay in touch.

Alice

Thanks for the positive thought, Alice, so I will be having mine at 10:30 in Florida Time and yours will be 13:00pm in England time, so mine will be a few hours earlier than yours :) hope both goes well and will be hoping that yours all goes well and 13:00 :)

Hi Alice,

Thinking of you today and sending lots of positive energy your way for tomorrow.

I don't know much about bone grafting but I did a fair amount of "research" on dry socket when I had a molar extracted recently. All of the things you're doing, and then being extra gentle with the extraction site the first few days, all minimize the risk of dry socket. And I'm told that even if it does occur, the dentist can quickly medicate it and get you out of pain quickly. Dry socket usually occurs in the first couple of days, so if you make it through Thursday (I seem to recall your dentist is available Thursday), you're all set. If anything were to happen after, most dentists have an answering service and would probably arrange to treat you asap if something happened on the weekend.

In any case, I think dry socket is one of those things we phobics like to latch onto in our constant search for worst-case outcomes. With proper care it's fairly uncommon, and easily treated if it does occur, so try to relax on that one. (That said, I only started really relaxing on the third day, knowing that I'd "dodged a bullet". ;)

Regarding your other concerns, it's more easily said than done, but I think at a certain point you just have to trust your dentist to make the best decision possible, based on his experience and the condition of your tooth. It sounds like you did good research choosing him, both for this experience and your comfort level with him, and you've explained the whole situation to him, including your need to be 100% by next Friday. So now, it's kind of time to step back and let him take care of you. :XXLhug:

Dentists, like most other groups of people, distribute themselves on a kind of bell curve. There's some bad ones out there, either in technical or personal skills or both. And there's some "rock stars" who just have great technique and a really gentle manner. And then there's the other 80% or so, who I think are all very good at what they do and are compassionate and kind. Having ensured that you didn't pick one from the first group, it's time to trust your dentist's skills and know that he can handle a routine extraction.

As with any medical procedure, there's some risks and unknowns, but these are going to exist no matter what decision you make. I completely understand the urge to keep second-guessing, but at this point you've done all you can to make the best decision, and now the dentist will adjust as needed based on what he finds while working.

Regarding your current pain, a lot of times this can be caused by a buildup of fluids in the abscess, putting pressure on the nerve. Local anesthetics usually knocks this out, and once the tooth is treated the pain will dissipate almost immediately. I can tell you from my own experience that the pain you're in before going bears no relation to any pain or difficulty you might experience during the procedure. I've had teeth that were screaming, and once the anesthetic hit, it was pain-free, smooth sailing. Other teeth I've had no pain, and it's taken tons of anesthetic to get them numb. So again, you just kind of have to trust your dentist to make the right call based on what he finds.

My other thought on dentists is that they're kind of like airline pilots. They have a ton of training and experience, and then most of the work they do is really routine (fillings, root canals, take-offs, landings). But you want all that experience and knowledge so that when they encounter a thunderstorm or a bird in the engine, they know what to do. So if your dentist starts working and finds that, for whatever reason, bone graft is not a good idea, or whatever, his experience will guide him to do what you need to be healthy and to recover quickly.

Having had so much work done myself, I can tell you that nothing I've had has put me out of commission for more than a day, much less an entire week. So try to ignore your racing mind; in about 24 hours you'll be home and on your way to recovering, and by the end of next week you'll be so much happier and ready for your event.

One more night, sweetie...

Thanks Steve,

One more day and one more night. It's 8:15 a.m. om Monday and 24 hours from now I will be in the dentist chair. Right now I cannot stop shaking and trying to get it under control so I can relax.

It seems my mind is racing like crazy and this morning another glitch that has me worried. I have been taking amoxicillin 500 mg for a week and also ibruprofen when I need to take the edge off the tooth pain. The ibruprofen I am taking is only 200 mg and I only took one.

So I wake up early this morning and discover bleeding somewhere coming from the lower intestinal track. This is something I have not hd before so something has to be related. I have no idea if it's the ibruprofen, the antibiotics, stress or all of the above, but I am just freaked out at this point.

Since it's a holiday, both the dentist and my doctor are out of the office until tomorrow and tomorrow I will be sedated to go to the dentist before leaving the house.

I will call the pharmicist shortly and also call a friend that is in holistic health.

Meanwhile I think I am just falling apart.

Alice

Hi Alice

Do you have an 'out of hours' clinic that you can get to in order to get the bleeding checked out? I am not a medic, and would hate to second guess what may be the cause, but would suggest you see someone sooner rather than later.

Hope you get on alright hunni, let us know.

I hope you are okay, I would like to know that you are all right when you feel up to it. :)

I hope you are okay, I would like to know that you are all right when you feel up to it. :)

Hi CAROLE, hAD THE EXTRACTION TODAY. hURTING TONIGHT. hOPEFULLY TOMORROW WILL BE A BETTER DAY. tHANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR KIND WORDS. Sorry for the caps locked Alice

Tooth is out - Hurting Hope this is normal

Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your good wishes on the other threads.

My wisdom tooth number 32 is finally out as of 8:00 a.m. this morning. I had 2 Halcion which calmed me down enough to get through it plus a nice support network from two friends there to get me thought it and one staying with me tonight.

I only got 5 hours sleep and woke up terrified. First Halcion at home calmed me down and 2nd helped me stay calm. I was conscious through it all but with an I pod meditation tape and support network and caring dentist the tooth is out. The two Halcion did not put me out but helped calm me through the procedure.

The shots of Articane were not bad. I needed two more during the procedure because the tooth was abscessed and still had some pain. The tooth broke off at the crown and root came but separate. The procedure was not pleasant I will not lie but it was not terrible either or less than I expected I guess. Then the socket was debrided and antibiotic put in to blear infection and then the bone graft, membrane and stitches.

No bleeding because of the bone graft, membrane and stirtches so no gause or bleeding to stop. With help to the car I got home ok.

I slept for maybe two hours. I ate clear broth, yogurt, soup and pudding.

Still taking antibiotics amoxicillin and 400 mg Motrin (two over the counter).

Good news is no dreaded parasthesia because the articane numbing is completely gone and I think faster than any I remember in previous years. Maybe four hours tops and no numb anything.

Bad news is I am in quite a bit of pain. Using Ice a LOT!!! Tonight I am supposed to rinse lightly with chlorahexidine (not sure of spelling) rinse. No swelling of cheek that I can see on my face and no bruising., Just pain worse than the tooth ache was and hope things ill calm down tomorrow.

I have Ambien from my regular Doc so hopefully that will help me get some sleep.

I will stay in touch.

Is this pain today normal. I'm feeling pretty miserable right now. If it hurts this much tomorrow I may ask for a stronger pain med although I don't like narcotics.

I am glad that the anxiety of waiting three moths and being terrified to the point of feeling ill from anxiety at least is over.

I have a lot more dental work to have done but want to get past the healing stage and pray I am in tip top shape 9 days from now when I have my big event.

To all those who had their appointments today, you are in my thoughts and prayers that everything went well and we all are on the road to recovery and free from pain.

In the future I may consider the IV sedation but my main concern is post op recovery as the procedure was not pleasant but was not terrible wither.

All my best,

Alice

Re: Tooth is out - Hurting Hope this is normal

Usually the messier and more prolonged the extraction, the more pain afterwards. But then I had one very clean and easy extraction and that hurt the most out of all of them. (Five in total) My dentist said that those recovery times can be unpredictable.
I also had cases where the worst pain happened on the first day and in some other cases the pain was worst on the second day. Severity also varied.

In other words, unless the pain is still severe after 3 days everything is "normal". I think because wisdom teeth are often rooted deeper and harder to get out, they can cause more pain afterwards during the healing period.

No swelling is great, hopefully it will stay that way.

Hi Alice! Well done in getting through your appointment!! :jump: :jump: I had a similar experience (although not a wisdom tooth) in having an extraction (infected) and bone grafting done immediately afterwards. Mine was a rather simple extraction but like you I did have some pain once the numbing wore off. (I had some minor swelling for a day or two also) The pain was enough for me to ask for stronger medication the next day which was then prescribed. By that evening I still had some throbbing sensation but Advil took the edge off enough that I chose not to take any of the prescription medication. I had some discomfort for 4 or 5 days but it lessened each day and my dentist had advised me that would probably be the case. I hope that you feel relief even more quickly :thumbsup: but if it takes a few days don't be too concerned. (Of course if it becomes more severe or unbearable consider checking in with the dentist.)
All the best to you as you recover - feel better and once again - congrats!! :cheer:

CONGRATULATIONS :jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::jump::jump::jump: I am glad it is over for you now. You should be feeling okay in 9 days time, the question is can you talk. I know you were worried about not being able to talk.

Take the pain meds as much as you need over the next few days, it is pointless being in a lot of pain, the hard bit is done now, so you may as well make the healing as comfortable and pain free as you can.

I don't like taking meds either but sometimes it is best to, it is only for a few days.

Follow the after care instructions and WELL DONE YOU :yay::yay::yay:

If you are worried about anything do contact your dentist. I am glad you have found a nice one. :grouphug:

Don't worry about the caps lock, I am really pleased that you have got it over and done with. I know you said in another thread that it wasn't very pleasant, but I hope it was totally pain free.

I hope you feel better soon, if you are worried contact the dentist and let them advise you.

Well done :cheer::cheer::cheer::yay::yay::cheer::cheer::cheer::thumbsup: