• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TW End of the road.

S

SenSel

Hi guys,

So I have really bad oral health and now I know that I'm going to lose my teeth due to severe gingivitis. Though I haven't been to the dentist, there's very little gum so it's only a matter of time. If I lose a tooth, I know I will end my life. If I knew this would be how it'd work, I wouldn't have eaten all those chocolates and junk food. Now, I'm sat here waiting for death. I feel like I'm stabbing my parents in the back after they've worked their socks off to bring me up. But what to do? I don't want implants or bridges because they won't be my teeth and everyone will know. I suffer from my own actions. I deserve death.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

So I have really bad oral health and now I know that I'm going to lose my teeth due to severe gingivitis. Though I haven't been to the dentist, there's very little gum so it's only a matter of time. If I lose a tooth, I know I will end my life. If I knew this would be how it'd work, I wouldn't have eaten all those chocolates and junk food. Now, I'm sat here waiting for death. I feel like I'm stabbing my parents in the back after they've worked their socks off to bring me up. But what to do? I don't want implants or bridges because they won't be my teeth and everyone will know. I suffer from my own actions. I deserve death.

You do not lose your teeth over gingivitis unless you plan to let it progress to gum disease. eating chocolate does not cause gingivitis, it is caused by lack of daily flossing and going to the dentist for professional cleanings. the cure is flossing daily and getting your teeth cleaned.
People who do end up with a tooth missing or all their teeth missing do not "deserve death"
and if you got implants or bridges the only people who know would be the people you tell.

People that haven't had their problems seen to by a dentist always seem to assume the worst, that they're going to lose all their teeth. That is very very rarely the case.

My mother has had gum disease for years now, and she hasn't lost a single tooth to it. She does get her cleanings done though, and cleans between the teeth with special little brushes. I once got a particularly aggressive kind of gum disease that was very painful and filled my mouth with blood. I still didnt lose any teeth because of that.

Be proactive. Get to the dentist, and the doctor, because suicidal thoughts should be taken seriously. You don't need to die, you just need help. It's never too late.

The 2 above posters are spot on; you will not know what's what if you don't go to the dentist - also, losing a tooth or 2 isn't the end of the road, I have a tooth missing (not due to gum issues) which I will be replacing with an Implant, with modern day dentistry it's pretty much impossible to tell restorations from the real thing.

just my thoughts on the matter.

Hi guys,

Hey SenSel, just to add to what the others said - they are spot on. Please see your doctor if you are feeling suicidal, they will be able to help you.

You don't deserve death, I promise you don't :XXLhug: Give yourself a break, and be kind to yourself, just like you might be to anyone else. You will be OK, hang in there and you will get through this.

When you feel up to it, please come back and let us know how you are. There are lots of people here who understand and will support you x

You do not lose your teeth over gingivitis unless you plan to let it progress to gum disease. eating chocolate does not cause gingivitis, it is caused by lack of daily flossing and going to the dentist for professional cleanings. the cure is flossing daily and getting your teeth cleaned.
People who do end up with a tooth missing or all their teeth missing do not "deserve death"
and if you got implants or bridges the only people who know would be the people you tell.

There's very little gum left. :s
Flossing is something that seems to be less common in the UK. No-one seems to know how to floss. Even old dentists haven't said anything about flossing.

I don't know what to do.

People that haven't had their problems seen to by a dentist always seem to assume the worst, that they're going to lose all their teeth. That is very very rarely the case.

My mother has had gum disease for years now, and she hasn't lost a single tooth to it. She does get her cleanings done though, and cleans between the teeth with special little brushes. I once got a particularly aggressive kind of gum disease that was very painful and filled my mouth with blood. I still didnt lose any teeth because of that.

Be proactive. Get to the dentist, and the doctor, because suicidal thoughts should be taken seriously. You don't need to die, you just need help. It's never too late.

I've got an appointment next Friday. Hopefully the news isn't too bad.
The suicide aspect is a lingering thing external of dental health. I guess I'm trying to find a reason to put the final nail in the coffin and this could be it. :S
I've got a new brush, advanced defence mouthwash and brushing for 4 minutes.

The 2 above posters are spot on; you will not know what's what if you don't go to the dentist - also, losing a tooth or 2 isn't the end of the road, I have a tooth missing (not due to gum issues) which I will be replacing with an Implant, with modern day dentistry it's pretty much impossible to tell restorations from the real thing.

just my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks.
I can't sleep over all this, which is the most annoying part of it!

Hey SenSel, just to add to what the others said - they are spot on. Please see your doctor if you are feeling suicidal, they will be able to help you.

You don't deserve death, I promise you don't :XXLhug: Give yourself a break, and be kind to yourself, just like you might be to anyone else. You will be OK, hang in there and you will get through this.

When you feel up to it, please come back and let us know how you are. There are lots of people here who understand and will support you x

Thanks. I'm off the NHS now for treatment regarding to the suicide. Hasn't worked but oh well, I tried.
Thank you for helping.

"Hasn't worked but oh well, I tried"

Nothing is going to fix you magically overnight. That's not how anything works. You need to put a lot of time and effort into therapy and self-care. I struggle with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I've been suicidally depressed countless times. There's nothing I can do to magically make that go away. I had to learn to manage my mental illness so that I can be happy and live my life. You can do that too.

"Hasn't worked but oh well, I tried"

Nothing is going to fix you magically overnight. That's not how anything works. You need to put a lot of time and effort into therapy and self-care. I struggle with PTSD, depression, and anxiety. I've been suicidally depressed countless times. There's nothing I can do to magically make that go away. I had to learn to manage my mental illness so that I can be happy and live my life. You can do that too.

Hi.

I agree with Sevena and the others.

Depression and other mental health issues have no magic over night cure. I understand you're struggling and I'm sorry, but please don't give up.

I dealt with a very severe depression period last year where I had suicidal ideation twice within a months time and almost went through with it. I thank God that I didn't go through with it.

Please give therapy a shot. I was in therapy for several months before I became stable again. If you put in the time, effort and patience you can get through this.

I understand the terrifying fear of the dentist, but a therapist can help you with that as well. Please hang in there.

JJ

Sending good vibes, prayers, and love to you this evening!

You can read more about my dental journey in my journal (link is in my siggy), but I also deal with dental phobias, depression, and anxiety. I've been properly caring for my mouth since March and there has been a lot of healing ~ you will (should? :) ) be amazed at what dentists can do to help heal your mouth and what you can do at home (it just all takes time).

The scariest part for me was going back to the dentist ~ there were a lot of panic attacks, tears, no sleep/no eating leading up to my first appointment. I had hubby come with me and my dentist had no issues with him being there in the room while they evaluated me. That's a huge help! I hope that you will have a parent or friend with you during your first visit.

Also, realize that even if you do need a lot of work done (my whole treatment plan is 3 printed pages long), you don't have to do everything RIGHT away. I've gotten a lot of work done on my gums and fixed 1 tooth since March. I have 1 more check up this year and then I'm done for 2015. I still have about 6 or 7 teeth to fix, but my dentist doesn't mind stretching out the work over 2-3 years to get everything done (and to allow me to use my insurance as best as possible and pay off the work over time).

For me, the more I educated myself about proper care and the more I stuck to taking care of my mouth, the less scary this dental journey has become. Yes, I still panic before I go to the dentist ~ it helps (me at least) to get early appointments, I'm usually too sleepy to fully panic :giggle: ~ but I know how to take care of my mouth, so at least I'm doing what I should to help myself.

As for depression, I deal with slacking off with my mouth care when I'm going through a hard time. I recently had to move - was forced by my landlord since he was selling the place - and during the week that I was transitioning from my old place to my new place, I just could not deal with taking care of my mouth. I'm back to minor care - brushing twice a day, using mouth wash twice a day, and flossing once a day - but there's more I should be doing. Just mentally, right now, I can't keep up ~ I have gum disease so I need to do a bit more to keep everything healthy and happy.

Which btw, I have gum disease and I have tooth pockets from 3-7 mm and NONE of my teeth are falling out or are loose. The dentist had great ways to help teeth that are loose, if someone has that happening to them. To deal with gum disease, you just have to be very diligent with cleaning your mouth 2-3 times a day, flossing becomes your best friend, and you might have some treatments at the dentist. I had gum flap surgery, which is a pretty intensive procedure to heal your gums where there are very deep tooth pockets ~ I wouldn't want to go through that again, BUT OMG! the gums that had it look and feel soooooooooo much better. (Plus I was able to eat as much ice cream as I wanted to for 4-5 days!)

You can get through this ~ the dental work and the depression ~ and I'm glad you're getting treated for both. I'm 30 years old and I've been dealing with this my whole life (it got worse in my teens and as a young adult), so I just have to take each day and work through each problem as best as I can. There are zero reasons to give up on life because of dental issues. :XXLhug:

Thanks. I'm off the NHS now for treatment regarding to the suicide. Hasn't worked but oh well, I tried.
Thank you for helping.

Hey SenSel, sevena is right - I know it can seem that way, but please stick with it, the treatment will take time but it gets better, I promise. Don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it.

Nobody deserves death due to having dental problems. I understand your fear or dentures and implants, I was the same, actually I was scared of having dentures that made me look like I had perfect teeth. I thought this would mean I had a beacon on my head saying look, false teeth.
truth is, I had my partial dentures a week ago and although it takes some getting used to, I am glad, I look better than before and actually prefer them to my original teeth. They do not look fake at all and the thought of no more toothache is brilliant.
people deserve to have a nice smile and to be pain free.
I really hope you talk to somebody about your mental health. You are worth far more.

Back