• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

twilight sleep for 30 minute tooth extraction

B

brooke cole

So my teeth extraction is tuesday n the dds is going to use twilight conscious sedation on me. Im all new to this so. What should i expect and what did my dds mean by i will wake up quickly? anyone with expierience would help thanx :)

Ask your dentist about it since it csn be knock out then you wale up when they give ya something but they will watch your heart and other stuff too and prepare have soft food since ya can't eat hard after it

I'm by no means an expert on the subject - but when I had the IV sedation for my wisdom teeth, I was taken back into a room that really didn't look much different than any other dentist office and hooked up to a pulse ox machine (the little fingertip thing) and possibly a heart monitor. The nurse gave me the option of where I wanted the IV. I remember the tiny prick of the needle and making a comment that it felt really cold when she injected the medicine. I yawned, said something about being tired and my next memory is of waking up in the recovery room.

I think it took about an hour (but I was so out of it, I really have no idea). A heads up: When you're coming out of sedation, you might feel an urge to cry. My brother and I both did when we first woke up and the nurses said it was perfectly normal and that a lot of people experienced the same urge. I was still pretty tired the rest of the day, but I'm not sure if that was from the sedation or because I was glad to finally be done :grin:

Oh wow. Well as long as you had good expierience n a good dr n that u felt better thats all that matters! :)

Hey Sunny - I've heard that about sedation - the impulse to cry. The drugs they use must just exaggerate emotions all around - I always react like super silly when I wake from sedation. Giggling a lot, talking a LOT, just being goofy in general. Not embarrassing myself, just being overly & unnecessarily happy for someone who just had Oral Surgery (I've had it for medical procedures too and same thing - goofy).

Brooke - Zero bad experiences on sedation multiple times. All positive experiences, honestly. I wasn't happy about losing a tooth, but it went better than I could have hoped for, all things considered. I remember NOTHING from any actual procedure though I'm told I was alert enough to respond to commands...sometimes :) Apparently, I held the hand of a girl who was also in recovery in the bed next to mine crying. Have vague memories of that - hope it made her feel better.

You'll do great :)

And by "wake quickly", they really mean it. They can sedate you and bring you "out" in 20-30 minutes. Even faster if necessary. You likely won't remember anything and you'll feel super sleepy when you "wake", but you will be "alert" (to some degree - I wouldn't go signing any legal documents or trying to drive for the rest of that day - very relaxed and sleepy).

Aww thanks Deck2015! that did make me feel better. I wil let u all know how it went!! :)

Back