• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two Broken Molars Being Extracted - Normally Thin Blood

L

Lindaru

Hey, all . . . on the 16th I start on the Cephalexin and then on the 26th I go to get teeth #30 and #31 extracted which are both broken in part below the gum line and I have been told may need to be removed via hand-piece (drilling). The last time I had to have one drilled (lower canine that broke during removal), I bled very severely and was up for 12 hours changing gauze, unable to drink or even take medication.

I am on zero prescriptions beyond the antibiotics and zero over the counter save for Tylenol (Ibuprofen causes bleeding), and am rather worried that I could bleed out even though they put two sets of stitches in the last time. Even moist tea bags did not help. By the time the dentist office was open the next morning, it had slowed to oozing, but there is no answering service after hours and you are told to go to the hospital if there is an emergency (which I would not have been able to do without calling an ambulance for transport).

My dentist is now aware that I have this problem, but is there anything they can do while I am still there to make sure I will not bleed that severely again? As soon as the gauze is placed, I am out of there, making payment, and then out the door.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

:dunno:

Hi,
Why not see your GP and arrange a blood test in advance to check on your clotting times. That would make sure that there is no underlying problem and reassure you for the future.

Hi, Rob . . . that is a good idea but I would not have time to get testing scheduled before I have to have these out. I do not have a G.P. (if I need to go in, I would go to Urgent Care clinic), so I would have to find a physician, schedule an initial appointment and get the testing done.

Is this a very uncommon problem?

Just curious.

Thanks.

:(

No it's not a common problem and generally it's a case of a bit of blood in a lot of saliva. Alarming but not dangerous.
Lower canines have a difficult root shape and can be arkward, this is the most likely cause of your previous episode of bleeding.
If you had a serious underlying blood problem then you may have experienced other occasions of prolonged bleeding or be prone to bruising.

Definitely discuss it with your dentist though

The tooth next to it and the one across on top had to be extracted at the same time. Probably not a good idea for me to have that many at one time.

Thank you!

Back