• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two broken molars

S

soulbee

Hi everyone.

I broke my upper right molar two days ago. It all started with a crack down its middle, then the whole thing fell apart while I was eating cake. I have no idea how it happened, and there was no filling, no visible cavity, no physical trauma. I don't do chewing gum and don't drink sugary sodas at all, but occasionally I eat a few snacks or chocolates. I brush my teeth everyday before I sleep. I don't smoke or drink alcohol. I haven't had any root canals, or fillings done, or anything on my teeth in general, I do not visit the dentist unless a health issue comes up. I am generally physically healthy and cannot come to terms with this just happening out of nowhere. I went to the dentist yesterday and he said there is barely any tooth left so I need either extraction and/or implantation. I have another molar that also broke in the same spot, but upper left. I left it alone for a couple of years because my parents didn't want to deal with it (I'm pretty young and live with my parents). I am only 20. I just cannot deal with the fact that I have to implant two molars at this age, and the situation is only made worse by my mother, and dentist, who want to believe that I eat too much sugar and there is no other underlying issue. I heard from the dentist yesterday about having cavity on the tongue side of the tooth, even though I showed him the broken part of my tooth and it wasn't as decayed as he tried to convince me. He basically tried to convince me that the whole area was blackened with cavity before it broke, which it wasn't. I do not want to trust him, as he kept talking about irrelevant issues such as my overbite (which my orthodontist was okay with not fixing because of my mouth shape), my bite in general (he asked me to show my teeth then immediately said I was holding them down wrong and giving myself issues), my supposed last issue with lower left molar (he has it written down that I suffered a lower left issue last time I visited, which is a fabricated lie!), then he kept incessantly telling me off about me being stubborn (as if I was a child). I do not understand if this is some sort of joke he was playing that I didn't get, either way it was insensitive especially after I reacted with tears after he recommended an implantation (those are expensive, and I was expecting a filling).

Anyway, I am grieving the loss of two teeth, too soon. I am still very confused and definitely suspicious of an underlying issue, such as my history with TMJ (temporomandibular joint) and grinding my teeth or a side effect of my braces (got them removed last August).

Forgot to say: there was zero pain until it broke and the raw nerve was exposed. If it supposedly had a cavity, then shouldn't there be some pain?

HI soulbee,

sorry to read about your situation. Losing two molars at your age and not knowing why must be very confusing. I can't offer much of advice on the dental side of things, but it sounds like you had an awful experience with that dentist, felt humiliated, not taken seriously and even lied to and now you absolutely distrust them and won't believe anything that they say. That's not a good starting point in looking for answers, sadly. It sounds like your mom is not very helpful either, but I was wondering whether there is any chance of seeing another dentist? Maybe googling around a bit and finding someone who looks like you could trust them and then sharing your story from the beginning and hopefully getting some input that gives you some clarity? Or maybe there is a family member you trust who could help you with this?

All the best wishes

Back