• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two cracks in previously treated tooth

W

wraoursy

Alright, so today I have gathered my courage and finally saw a dentist. It’s been 8 months from my last visit, and the last time I gave up after a cleaning. This time I have finally found a doctor I really trust, very gentle and understanding. I need 4 fillings done and I’m feeling hopeful, cause I did quite well today. However, one of the problematic teeth worries me a lot, one of the bottom molars. I’ve been feeling some dull ache in it for the past week or so. 10 years ago I had a filling done there, and now most of the filling is gone, I have some additional decay, but the worst part - I have two small cracks, visible on top of the tooth, from both sides (sides facing other teeth).
As of now my doctor is telling me most likely it’s going to be fine, but there are possibilities of this tooth falling apart completely during the procedure or it needing a root canal. I’m terrified of all the scary outcomes and I don’t know how to prepare myself for it.
How long will the procedure take if something goes wrong? Will it be painful? What if I’ll need a crown or an implant.
Another reason why I’m worried is that eventually I was considering wearing Invisalign or even going for braces to fix my crowded bottom teeth, but I know the implant/crown will make it impossible.

Sorry for the long rant. Any advice/opinion will be highly appreciated.

How long will the procedure take if something goes wrong?
That would rather depend on what went wrong, wouldn't it?

It shouldn't be painful, if it's numb enough to do the filling on it then it's numb enough for anything else that may be required.

If you've got crowding anyway, then losing a tooth may help with the overall result, so it isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Back