• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Two Painful Molars, One Visit?

M

Mageris

Okay first off just wanted to say hello to everyone. I've been away for awhile now because of life circumstances and due to that, my dental health once again took to the backburner. Until recently where one of either of my top back molars would start aching and hurting. The pain would be sporadic, lasting a couple hours or day, then disappear all together for weeks or months. The left one I've known was bad and needed either rct or an extraction but I put it off due to no insurance or money. In America, this makes it hell to get any medical issues taken care of, even simple ones.

However, this time the right side one started up and it was ugly. Happened after eating some really crunchy crackers. I only have one molar on my right side left. I also have tmj issues and had hoped in some sense, that it was acting up as each time I went to the dentist it has been getting progressively worse. But that's another issue altogether. Now I know it's that molar as it's been tingling off and on and I can finally localize the pain from it.

Now today and a bit over the weekend, these two molars have been playing a painful game of tennis back and forth in my mouth. Where one would let off for awhile, the other would start up. I've been taking ibuprofen and tylenol like pez and am taking amoxicillin as well because I suspect I also have infection. I've been through this so much anymore, I pretty much know what's going on even before I go see a dentist. But i work full time and cannot afford to lose too much time from work as im not perm hired and receive no benefits not even sick days. (My country pisses me off so much. Go Bernie2020.)

So my usual office I go to has nice dentists and administration, and they're only 15 minutes from my house. They recently sent me a letter detailing that they have expanded their hours for regular and emergency services to include Saturdays with the addition of a new dentist. But as nice as my office is, they are very pricey and pushy about rcts, crowns, etc. I couldn't afford those procedures even when I had insurance. And now being uninsured it's definitely out of the question. But even extractions are gonna be between 400-450 without any additional services. That said, I need to go and my anxiety is really letting me have it.

There's an office I've been looking into that's 5 minutes from my house. From what I understand they're cheaper and offer good discounts for new patients. I would like to find an office that does iv sedation. So far no luck yet. I've tried gas and had a bad experience. I've been given ativan and it didn't help at all. So normally I go in a shaking ball of anxiety and fear and hopelessness and just grit my teeth and bear whatever happens. And most of my dental visits have been unpleasant to say the least. Its embarrassing because my teeth will chatter and I'll get a nervous stomach so I'll have to use the restroom like 4 or 5 times during a visit. It's worse when you have ibs on top of it.

But to my point. I am thinking of going this weekend. I don't wanna wait too long cuz I'm afraid it will only get worse. But I've not had 2 teeth pulled in a long time. And I'm not sure if it'll be better doing both and getting it over with. Or do one, one week, then the other the next. What do you guys think? Anyone had multiple teeth pulled awake in one visit? If so how did that happen and how did it go?

Hi Mageris,

sorry to read what you have been going through and how much you are in pain. I see how you feel you won't be able to get or afford the right care and are looking for realistic compromises. I also see how you are dealing with time pressure which makes your anxiety and the decision process even harder.

Now your actual question at the end of your post is whether it is ok to have two teeth removed, awake and at once.

While I understand how nervous you are and the need to plan ahead and prepare yourself for what comes, it might still be good to be clear that you do not know what the teeth need and what options you have. You mentioned taking antibiotics as you were sure you had an infection.. I was wondering whether the pain subsided, which is what normally would happen with antibiotics (not a dentist and not sure whether there are exceptions). Thinking of a tooth that hurts on and off and leaves you weeks or months in between I think there still might be a possibility that it is not an infection that is going on.

So I know it wasn't your question, but the best idea for now might be to see which practice offers you the best compromise between what you can afford right in terms of an assessment of what is going on and at least a minimal sense of comfort and trust. Once you know what is really going on with the teeth, what treatment options you have, what sedation/medication options you have and of course what the cost for each of the option would be, you can think of where to go from there. I know it is not easy with anxiety, but going one step at the time really is the best approach.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

P.S.: Had four wisdom teeth out in one visit with just local and it was the quickest procedure I ever had. Literally all of them out in 5 minutes and I didn't even realize until they told me we were done.

Thanks for the advice. ?I will probably check the closer office first this weekend then. The pain was off and on but is now nearly constant so long as I'm awake. Makes me feel a little crazy with everything else going on?.Can't wait to get normal sleep again. By the end of the week, I'll probably have bags under my eyes lol. ?

Back