• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

type of physical before sedation

E

elaine

what type of physical does a US dentist usually require before doing work
with pill sedation or IV? Is it like a sports physical or a complete physical requiring
you to be in those short robe type things that we women hate?

Thanks
Elaine

None to the best of my knowledge? An approved medical history must be completed, must be dated, and must contain all indicated signatures. If there are more severe contraindications in the medical history, the patient must get clearance, but otherwise there is no requirement for a physical (unlike for general anesthesia). Vital signs (like blood pressure/heart rate/heart rhythm) must be measured before and during treatment.

That's to the best of my knowledge, I don't know if there may be differences between different US states.

I think that LetsConnect is right.  My dentist required me to get a physical because I'm having general anesthesia but said it wouldn't have been necessary if I needed the oral or IV sedation.  I just got it Tuesday and I had to wear one of those stupid little paper robes but they really only took blood, my vitals, listened to my heart and pushed on my stomach.  

Good Luck!

Back