• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Types of sedation?

Z

zelbic

Hey I had a quick question about how they sedate you to do serious dental work (which I know I will need to have). I was wondering do they ever 'put you to sleep'? I think if I can get put to sleep I can get through this no problem. But my question is, could this be an option?

Hi zelbic

You don't say where you are from, but over here in the UK you can get oral sedation, inhalation sedation (laughing gas), iv sedation and I would imagine more so in a hospital environment, general anaesthetic.

I had iv sedation just last week, and for me, it was just brilliant. I didn't want to feel, see or hear what was being done to me, and this ticked all the boxes as far as I am concerned. There are a lot of people who don't like the feeling of not being in control, but I just needed to get my treatment with as little 'involvement' as possible from me.

I hope this helps, but it may be worth you contacting a few dentists where you are to see what type of thing they offer, as on the NHS here, what's available sedation-wise varies from area to area and practice to practice.

I wish you well.

Kim

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zelbic. :)

There's lots of information about the different types of sedation dentists use here:

Only General Anaesthetic (click for more info) would actually put you to sleep (i.e. unconscious), but people often talk of IV sedation as 'Sleep Dentistry', despite the fact you remain conscious the whole time! :rolleyes: However, its effect is that it feels like you've been asleep - an hour's appointment feels like it's over in 5 minutes, and most people remember little or nothing of what happened. Although you've actually been awake and able to follow your dentist's instructions, you're barely aware of it, and when it's all over you feel like you're waking up after a nice sleep. :cloud9: It's safer and much more comfortable than GA (no nausea, sore throat etc), and it's a great option for a lot of anxious or phobic patients.

One thing though, even if you're having sedation so you can effectively 'sleep' through the treatment, it's still REALLY important to find a kind, gentle and sympathetic dentist. Being able to trust your dentist honestly does more to help with anxiety and fear than any sedation - the different sedation options are brilliant tools in a good dentist's hands, but unfortunately you can also find that some less kind or ethical dentists will advertise sedation as a way of gaining more patients, but are not really interested in or suited to treating the kind of patients who need it. :mad: You also need to be sure your dentist is competent and committed to pain-free dentistry - sedation does not stop you feeling pain, and you need to know your dentist will take just as good care of a sedated patient as an unsedated one.

It does sound like IV sedation it would really suit you. :nod: I'm phobic, and I've had it myself a few times, and I highly recommend it! The next step would be to find the right sedation-qualified dentist for you. Whereabouts in the world do you live? Do you have a dentist in mind to go to, or do you need to find one?

Oh, and one final thing - you say you need 'serious dental work' - what do you mean by that, and who told you? If you're considering undergoing major dental treatment, it's always worth getting at least a second (if not third) opinion, as you may find there are more options than you've been told about. If it's been a while since you've seen a dentist and you just assume you must need lots of work, do wait and see what a dentist says - people often find things are not as bad as they'd feared.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am 27 years old and I live in the US and I will be moving to a brand new city and state (I got a job as an elementary teacher in Charlotte, NC). I have not had a dental appointment in approximately 10 years due to my ridiculous anxiety over them. I am only guessing as far as serious dental work is concerned.

I can tell you what I know for sure. I have two teeth in the back that will either need to have a root canal done or removed. They are broken and pretty rotted out. I am certain I will need to have several fillings done and I know I have gum disease. They have receded due to my trying to be over diligent in brushing and they hurt when I brush them, and bleed.

All in all my teeth aren't anywhere near as bad as the pictures I've seen, but I know I will have plenty to do in order to restore my teeth to 100%. From what you've shown me and what I've read; IV sedation sounds absolutely wonderful. It makes me feel less worried about going (still highly anxious about it, but I wasn't expecting to be instantly cured). My dental insurance kicks in for my new job in November and I have full intentions of going to see a trustworthy dentist. I would definitely go right now, but I can't afford a strait dentist bill without insurance and I will need to spend a lot of money on this move in July.

:star::star::star:

Hi Zelbic maybe until November and your insurance kicks in for you, you could help yourself a bit. :)

If you buy a soft tooth brush and brush in circular movements on each tooth front back and on the underside of the tooth, that will stop you damaging your gums any more. Don't brush hard or across your teeth. You can also rinse your mouth with warm salt water. If you can stand to do it you could floss inbetween your teeth where you feel you can. If you could afford it you could get an electric toothbrush, I find these better to use. You just hold these on your teeth at a 45 degree angle and slowly move it across your teeth and it will do he work for you. :clover: Also I change my toothbrush head every 3 months, this is what dentists recommend we do.

If you can do any of this it will help. I hope your move goes well and smooth for you, and roll on November for you. :)
One day you will get there and have a ;D

Best wishes :clover::clover::clover: :butterfly:

I have heard that getting an electric toothbrush is a good idea. I have been working on brushing slower lately, and I try to floss once a day. Actually I do regularly brush and clean. It's just my extreme fear of dentists have kept me from getting the regular deep cleanings like I need to, and it's getting to the point where it's effecting my teeth. Hopefully with the encouragement and what I've learned on here, I can push myself to find that dentist in November so I can stop from having anymore bad teeth and start managing my mouth better.

:star::star::star:

I had a feeling you were brushing like a maniac, ;) I have done this myself thinking I was doing good, but we can do more damage than good with excessive brushing, I have been there with that one. :silly: I did think you were cleaning your teeth, but maybe overdoing it, which does seem to be the case, we over compensate for not going to the dentist don't we. :hug5:

I really hope you can keep yourself going until you can afford to go. :grouphug:

Best wishes :butterfly:

Back