• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Ugh. After so much success I remembered why I hate the dentist

C

Courtenay

And it isn't the dentist. It's the hygenists and their condescension and stabby stabby poking tools. Like a few months ago my teeth were awful but I have done all of the work now aside from replacing a tooth and 2 crowns, because they are expensive and will take more time to budget for. She was super rude about the "teeth I have left" and very mean in general. LI knew there was going to be some build up after so many years without a cleaning. ... she went on and on about how awful my gums were, her opinion btw is based on the fact that all of my measurements were 1-3 (mostly 2 and 3) and 2 places were 4s. The 2 places where I literally just had massive infection cleaned from..... well Thnks? She then went on to say 1-3 was normal but she was shocked how I couldn't have bone loss and advanced periodontal disease. Best part? 30 mins wasn't enough (I could have told them it wasn't likely) and I get to go back on Thursday for another 30 mins.... luckily with a different hygenists at least.

Ugghhh so sorry you had a bad experience! My sister had a similar experience with a hygienist . The actual dentist was wonderful but the hygienist just had her nose stuck in the air and would not stop ridiculing her. But don't let this get you down! You've gotten so much work done and now basically have a healthy mouth! Do not worry!
Your success is what is getting me through my appointment for my crowns on Thursday!

Sorry you had that experience Courtenay. Remember that this journey is yours. And you're doing what works for you. You're handling this now and to the best of your ability. Don't let anyone road block you from reaching your personal goals and your definition of success.

Proud of you for getting the cleaning done and proud of you for going a second round. Your journey is inspiring and definitely helped me through my start today.

Thanks to both of you! It just suck at the time. I'll be happy when it's all done. Good luck on Thursday jumper! Shane how did your appt go today?

Uuuughh, hygienists. They're often worse than dentists. For some reason some of them think they have the right to be totally brusque and rude while they lecture people. They contribute to people being afraid of the dentist, because one common fear is being embarrassed and scolded while in the dentist chair! It's not hard to be informative and polite instead. Honestly, your hygienist should pick a different career.

I'm at the stage where I don't have any pressing issues or treatment to go through, so if it was me I'd file a complaint about her, and request not to see her again. Not everyone is in a position where they can do that though, and hell, some people are too defeated after being treated badly and just want to put it behind them. But everyone should have the right to *good* healthcare, and being spoken to like that does not constitute good healthcare by any means.

Even though I go to the dentist every three months instead of every 6 months (difficult mouth to keep clean) and it catches problems earlier. and been going to the dentist since my first baby tooth came through 32 years ago

I can remember when I was eight or nine me and my sister was sent to see one of the hygienists to put some stuff of our back teeth etc. I had a rudeish dentist who I saw when I had removeable braces use to hate seeing him.

I still get nervous going to the dentist even though I go every three months and being going to same practice 32 years, seeing a total of 10 different dentists

Courtenay, the appointment went well. My hygienist was actually very supportive and kind. I posted more detail on my thread. I'd rather use your thread to throw large amounts of support and praise your way!

Thanks. I'm headed back today for hopefully the last visit for awhile.

That sounds terrible! If my hygienist treated me like that, I would most likely complain to the front desk or the dentist. I guess we can't really pick and choose our hygienists but maybe we can talk to the office at least. I hope your next hygienist is just as wonderful as mine. I told mine that I suffer from a lot of anxiety at the dentist and I had to make one hour appointment (which is tomorrow eek!) and she saw that I was really scared and she sat down with me and told me that she would make sure that my dentist gave me breaks and that I was comfortable. She was really sweet so I hope she's actually there tomorrow during my appointment.
Good luck with your next hygienist!!

The last one was great so I have rebook ed with her. The 2 questionable areas were barely questionable and everything looks great. They expect everything to be normal by my next visit I just haven't been blessed with good genes and I stayed away for too long. I have 0 issues now and clean teeth :)

The last one was great so I have rebook ed with her. The 2 questionable areas were barely questionable and everything looks great. They expect everything to be normal by my next visit I just haven't been blessed with good genes and I stayed away for too long. I have 0 issues now and clean teeth :)

That's awesome! Congratulations. I can't wait for mine to have no issues. Probably later this year, maybe summer time.

Back