• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

UK: NHS vs Private - the REAL differences?

I think grillz like Chavs have passed me by! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grill_(jewelry)

I think it's about time a qualified UK dentist replied to the OP's question, don't you? Where are you DrMike, Gordon? He did particularly want a dentlst's view didn't he rather than just my ravings?

Last edited:
I thought we were talking about back teeth....is gold really that steep? What a pity, it's great stuff (for back teeth unless you're from the ex soviet bloc).

Thanks Brit (and everyone else) - I seem to have created a lively discussion with my first post and I'm greatly appreciative of all the input.

To be honest, so far it's sort of confirmed what I thought. I will get a very basic level of care on the NHS but good NHS is probably better (for want of a better word) than bad private and there will be good and bad in both! For what it's worth, my dentist is friendly, put me at ease and was really understanding about me not being in a dentist's chair since the beginning of time - indeed he complimented me on my brushing and general state of my teeth! However - if the level of care was significantly better for the extra cost, I could go private with him!

But if there are any real UK dentists that can add anything I'd be really grateful of the info.

Thanks again, T

Back